Votes: 3 10.0%

• Total voters

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you run your LED's with or without optics? What are the pros and cons of each option?

geckoejon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have 3 separate reef breeder photons that i run without optics. i have them mounted inside hoods, and only about 6-9" above the water. removing the optics eliminated the spotlight effect, and makes the tank look great. i still get an optimal par distribution, imo. i have 80-90 on the bottom sand and 250-280 on the top rocks. i have bags full of optics if anyone wants to buy some. lol no need, imo...

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The naked LED has a spread of 120-180 Degrees. Unless your only a couple inches off the water like in a Biocube or RSM250 hood, Optics are a force multiplier.

By choosing the proper optic the standard 24-30" wide tank will receive over twice the PAR on the sand bed, reduce or cancel spill and cover a larger area with more PAR

Bill

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run Optics at 90-120 degrees, this way it does get into the tank, but its not really a focused beam like some have it.

hllywd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO optics of some kind are appropriate on most fixtures. The 12 LED DIY I have growing chaeto in my sump doesn't have optics, and enough light spills sideways, where I don't really want it, that I get significant algae growth inside my skimmer in the next sump compartment. The light growing the algae in my skimmer is wasted. Optics focus light into a tighter cone eliminating unwanted spread, and directing more of the light you're paying for where you want it rather than on the big screen at the opposite end of the room.

OP
OP
kireek

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running my lights without optics.I have a small 20 gallon high display and the fixture is 10 inches above the water.I get a lot of spill outside the tank which I don't mind it because it lights up a dark area of the room.However,the algae grows on the acrylic real fast.I would consider using the optics if I had a larger aquarium.

reggaedrummin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30g that's about 18.5" deep. I'm running a reefbreeders photon 16 that originally came with 90° optics. My light is mounted about 9" above the water. I get a lot of color distortion on the rocks and sand so... tonight I took off the optics which should put me close to 120°. I'll run it this way for a while and see how things go.

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30g that's about 18.5" deep. I'm running a reefbreeders photon 16 that originally came with 90° optics. My light is mounted about 9" above the water. I get a lot of color distortion on the rocks and sand so... tonight I took off the optics which should put me close to 120°. I'll run it this way for a while and see how things go.

Light is a wave.

Waves amplify and de-amplify each other.

Consider those monster waves in the ocean.

RGB LEDs close together work constructively to replicate almost any colour.

A random Red here and Green there depending on placement may give a chaotic colour distortion.

Bill

OP
OP
kireek

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Survey says: Optics then?
DSCF9496.jpg

BADXGILLEN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know it depends on your tank and coral what spread of optics you need if any, like you said your tank is just fine without optics. If it was 2-3 feet deep that would be a different story. Of course this is all dependant on initial light output as well. I suppose the shortest and simplest answer to your question would be optics change the spread of the lights, no optics equells max spread and minimal focus,that is probably why you have the optics removed from your unit.for the record I run over 10 units of varying brands all without optics,it is often the only way to run them at 100 percent. Better coverage too.

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 90s on my reef breeders photon 48 over a 75. My value fixture on my 20 gallon are bare led so 120s.

BADXGILLEN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Annnd, I don't recall Alex Murphy getting into any discussions about lighting but I do distinctly remember Megatron stating he is going to rip out his optics.

Reef_a_holiks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend optics, 90 degree in particular and hang your lights about 14-16 inches above the water

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really depends on situation that's why there are varying opinions. If lights have to be somewhat close to the water, then no optics. If you have space to put the lights 12 inches or more above water, then I would say optics will do well. My LEDs are close to the water and it looks like spot lights if I run optics, with a 1000 par in the middle and none on the sides. No optics gives me about 350 at the rocks and 120 on the sand bed about 24 inches down with a very nice even spread.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my DIY array I run without any optics and have great spread and quite even PAR throughout tank running at approximately 45% is all. I am just about to d o a tank up grade going from 20" high to 29"+- so will more than likely add at least some optics to get better light penetration if needed ???

Cheers, Todd

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really depends on situation that's why there are varying opinions. If lights have to be somewhat close to the water, then no optics. If you have space to put the lights 12 inches or more above water, then I would say optics will do well. My LEDs are close to the water and it looks like spot lights if I run optics, with a 1000 par in the middle and none on the sides. No optics gives me about 350 at the rocks and 120 on the sand bed about 24 inches down with a very nice even spread.

Very True.

I also found that by raising the fixture and employing quality optics you achieve higher PAR numbers with more coverage than without optics.

Bill

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 43 58.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 21 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back