Kessil 360w shimmer...

Gwitness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have 4 of these over my 180 mixed reef and I love them but the shimmer is just waaayyy too much...it literally looks like a disco ball going off in my tank and I was wondering if there is anyway to tone the shimmer down? I have already tried messing with the surface water and fixed that the best I could, but it's still not great. Is there a lens or screen or anything that would help with this? I literally can't look at the tank because it has so much shimmer it makes me almost sick to my stomach...any ideas or opinions??

OP
OP
Gwitness

Gwitness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done that and it's still ridiculous... Is there anything else? I mean I guess I could fix it a little more but if I do I will almost have 0 movement on top

ThePriceSeliger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume there is a give and a take. My two 360W's create a ton of shimmer with four spin streams creating a ton of agitation. I guess it's been forever since I've been to a disco, it doesn't seem to bother me too much. I wonder if the height of the light off the surface of the water would make any difference. Worth a try I suppose.

Nevil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had them. I thought the same thing when I 1st set up my tank. I don't have kessils but was my 1st LED setup. I got used to after awhile. Also tank was newly set up and I used dry rock and sand, which were bone white enhancing the effect. Once the rock and sand got dirtier it helped.

OP
OP
Gwitness

Gwitness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only had them 2 days now, so maybe I should just give it some more time then...I mean I love the lights, I just need to either get used to it or tone it down somehow! Or take some motion sickness pills haha

ghostman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the look of the kessils and the shimmer they provide, but I don't have much surface agitation with them. Since you asked for any other options, how about adding a few T5 bulbs to "fill in" the shadows of the shimmer? That would probably be best done in a canopy to hide the look, but I think it would reduce the effect. Just a thought.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5 will reduce the shimmer. I am awaiting another kessil, but currently have one. Running a dual T5 bulb to help with sps growth, I think, and the shimmer tones way down. I was almost disappointed with how much it toned it down.

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have 4 of these over my 180 mixed reef and I love them but the shimmer is just waaayyy too much...it literally looks like a disco ball going off in my tank and I was wondering if there is anyway to tone the shimmer down? I have already tried messing with the surface water and fixed that the best I could, but it's still not great. Is there a lens or screen or anything that would help with this? I literally can't look at the tank because it has so much shimmer it makes me almost sick to my stomach...any ideas or opinions??

Love the Kessils, but can definitely relate as the shimmer is so intense it's like hanging a strobe light over your tank. Mixing light sources can help. In our situation, we are mixing AI LED fixture with Kessils to counter the effect.

OP
OP
Gwitness

Gwitness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the Kessils, but can definitely relate as the shimmer is so intense it's like hanging a strobe light over your tank. Mixing light sources can help. In our situation, we are mixing AI LED fixture with Kessils to counter the effect.

What about 2 blue led stunner strips?? Or do I need something stronger like a reef brite strip or something like you did? I have to fix the 1980 disco club in my reef lol

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about 2 blue led stunner strips?? Or do I need something stronger like a reef brite strip or something like you did? I have to fix the 1980 disco club in my reef lol

Honestly, you are probably going to need a bit more ooomph than you'll get with the stunner strips. Cutting back the intensity a bit might help as well.

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got two blue plus T5 bulbs across the back of my 90G, and that helps tremendously.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back