Need help my tank is not happy

Diazreeflife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 3 months ago I switched from MH to LED. My existing light was 2 250 MH with 2 T5 for actinic. I kept the T5 running with the new LED.

The LED LIGHTING I went with Reef Radiance-165E which are amazing. The problem is my coral have not been the same since switching over. At first I set them up at 100% actinics 60% white from 11:30am to 8pm blues start 10am-9pm. Ramp time for both white and blue is 30 minutes.

After seeing my coral start looking like crap I asked what I should do on another post and was advised to drop the percentage of the white 20% and blue 50%. Coral looks a little better but my favia's and other Lps located lower in the tank are not looking ever good and starting to die.

As a side note my perimeters are perfect. What should I do?

Also should i continue to run the T5's?

Thank u
David

Last edited:

DFW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your coral is going to change when you go to LEDs. And your comprehension of what you are looking at will be totally different. I tried LED, but going back to T5. It looks right to me. I use royal blue LEDs to supplement T5s.

OceanRevive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After seeing my coral start looking like crap I asked what I should do on another post and was advised to drop the percentage of the white 20% and blue 50%. Coral looks a little better but my favia's and other Lps located lower in the tank are not looking ever good and starting to die.
Thank u
David

I don't mean to speak for Reef Radiance, they sell good led fixtures. But you really need to do a better job of describing the problem you are having.

Saying the coral looks like 'crap' isn't very useful. Which corals look like crap and just what is it that you think has changed? Color, brightness, shape, fullness...?

And you stated that the LPS are starting to die? How? What does it look like? Tissue necrosis, shrinking heads, loss of polyps...?

BTW, LPS corals usually look good and grow quite well under good leds.

My first guess is that at 100% blue and 60% white, you could be hurting the corals (depends how deep they are in the tank). That would be good info too.

I have a 180g mixed reef and run my leds at 90% blue and 40% white for just 2 hours with a 6-7 hour sunrise and sunset (14 to 16 hours, but much of it is very low power settings).

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back