Kessil 360 and t5s

Gwitness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently got 4 kessil 360s for my 180 mixed reef....I also bought and just installed a t5 retrofit kit...I have one Blue plus bulb in the back of canopy and one in front side of canopy and kessils in the middle...I am running my kessils at the 80% at their peak and that is for 5 hrs....I plan to run t5 bulbs during that 5 hour peak period also...question is should I drop my kessil percentage down from 80% or just keep it how it is??

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running mine at 80% too actually. I was running two T5's too, but I've added two more! You're a little deeper tank than me. I'd leave at 80 and keep an eye on everything.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418796326.906370.jpg

mikellini

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've started with 50% intensity (22" of water) and I'll slowly start to ramp up. Not a lot of information on what intensity people are running these at, but from what I've seen, 80% is relatively high. Also depends on height above the water and coral placement, but I guess I'll find out as it ramps.

Fishmania21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank Billwill. Fairness, can u post pic of your set up please. I'm a big fan of Kessil 360 and love to see 4 in action

OP
OP
Gwitness

Gwitness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running mine at 80% too actually. I was running two T5's too, but I've added two more! You're a little deeper tank than me. I'd leave at 80 and keep an eye on everything.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418796326.906370.jpg

Okay that is great to hear....what made you go to 4 bulbs?? And what color bulbs do you use?

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank Billwill. Fairness, can u post pic of your set up please. I'm a big fan of Kessil 360 and love to see 4 in action
I've just got 2 of them hanging up in my hood and the T5's are using retrofit reflectors (2 in front and 2 behind the Kessils).

Okay that is great to hear....what made you go to 4 bulbs?? And what color bulbs do you use?
My LFS has a Red Sea 150g set up with 8 T5's and 2 Kessils and it is absolutely beautiful. His corals grow so fast it's frustrating for me :). I'm running Blue Plus and Actinic in back and Blue Plus and Coral Plus in front. I really like the Coral Plus for great coloration. My LFS recommended both Blue Plus if going with only two supplemental lights, so that's what I started with a month or so ago. The T5's really add some brightness and color that LED's in general lose because they don't appear as bright to us (even though they'll burn your corals). This was my first experience with T5, and I've been told that ATI bulbs are the ones you need. The color and appearance of these Kessils over the Evergrow IT2040's I had is impressive. Both grow corals quite well, but I was getting tired of the weird disco ball color spots in certain spots.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gwitness

Gwitness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just got 2 of them hanging up in my hood and the T5's are using retrofit reflectors (2 in front and 2 behind the Kessils).

My LFS has a Red Sea 150g set up with 8 T5's and 2 Kessils and it is absolutely beautiful. His corals grow so fast it's frustrating for me :). I'm running Blue Plus and Actinic in back and Blue Plus and Coral Plus in front. I really like the Coral Plus for great coloration. My LFS recommended both Blue Plus if going with only two supplemental lights, so that's what I started with a month or so ago. The T5's really add some brightness and color that LED's in general lose because they don't appear as bright to us (even though they'll burn your corals). This was my first experience with T5, and I've been told that ATI bulbs are the ones you need. The color and appearance of these Kessils over the Evergrow IT2040's I had is impressive. Both grow corals quite well, but I was getting tired of the weird disco ball color spots in certain spots.

I had an ATI 8 bulb fixture before the kessils and I loved it and my corals were looking great, just wanted to switch to LEDs and add some t5 supplementation and I love the look so far with the kessils and 2 blue +.....I don't think I will end up getting 4 bulbs, but time will tell I guess!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.0%
Back