Can you point me in the right direction please

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All -

So I set up a small 20 gallon reef tank for my gf as she is slowly getting the saltwater bug and addiction... yet another one bites the dust and gets hooked! :wink:

But I am looking for a small LED light for this tank. Nothing crazy and super expensive, but ideally would I/ she like to grow some sps, yes of course. But I am trying to get her something on a relative budget and good price, as my xmas gift money has slowly dwindled! I myself run Ocean Revive LED's and they are fantastic, but they do not make smaller ones, and again I am not trying to spend $200 on a simple light either for someone who is just now starting to get into the hobby.

If anyone can point me in the right direction for a nice little quality LED, but not the Mercedes model either, I would really appreciate it.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anytime for a friend from my old stomping grounds.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ROFL. GO BUCS!!. the Brown will ways be the Browns.

OceanRevive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd have concerns that this fixture will cover a 24" long tank. It might, and it's a good price. For a small tank it may work just the way you want. I have an OceanRevive Arctic S026 over my 2' x 18" x 10" frag tank and it is more than enough light. And it's on sale for just $136 right now. Just a thought.

OP
OP
specialk

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ROFL. GO BUCS!!. the Brown will ways be the Browns.
You aint kidding ... at least they have some good young talent this year. Manziel looks terrible though .. I am really looking forward to the game sunday as if he bombs again they are going to have some interesting choices this off season

OP
OP
specialk

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd have concerns that this fixture will cover a 24" long tank. It might, and it's a good price. For a small tank it may work just the way you want. I have an OceanRevive Arctic S026 over my 2' x 18" x 10" frag tank and it is more than enough light. And it's on sale for just $136 right now. Just a thought.
I did see the sale .. I have 3 OR's right now over my main 125 DT, but I am moving into a 300 gallon rimless in about 3 months and I am going to purchase some more as I am happy with them for my tank

OceanRevive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember you, we talked some by PM and then you went to work out of town and I got busy and we lost touch. We look forward to seeing your 300g rimless tank. That should be very cool. Will it have euro bracing? And how thick will the glass be?

I ask because I've been kicking around the idea of a 6' x 30" or 32" x 20" or 22" rimless tank without bracing (maybe just a glass center brace) and with starfire front glass. But it's more of a dream than a realistic plan.

BTW, I'm not a pro football fanatic... I watch sometimes, but a big college football fan and I'm pulling for both underdogs in the playoff semi-finals. I lived in Columbus for 20 years and now in Florida and married to an FSU grad.

Last edited:
OP
OP
specialk

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I remember as well! Time flies ... seems like 2 months ago we were discussing that. In terms of the tank .. honestly that is a great question! The reason I do not know, is because it is in someones basement as I went to check it out and make sure all was ok, told him I would take it and cut him a check. He got the tank customn made (paid about $8500 to get it made), and it is acrylic. I did not measure the thickness but it most certainly is THICK! It had c top hood over it, but he showed me how it can be taken off easily, and basically be made into a rimless simply by removing the hood. I checked the tank out over a year ago and can't remeber if it had euro bracing or not to be honest.

His wife got very sick and this is why he decided to take it down only after 1 year of use -- so it is basically brand new and in immaculate shape. I know the guy personally, well have come to know him even better now, I just never knew he had a huge tank in his house in which he used for freshwater. So he is basically storing it for me until I get into my new place and get settled so I can set it up as obviously it is a bear to move! I will try and get a picture of it to show.

And AMEN to the buckeyes! We need all the help we can get! COlumbus is a GREAT town .. I love it down there! Also where at in Florida did you live .. I lived in St Pete for 10 years ... miss it all the time!

OceanRevive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And AMEN to the buckeyes! We need all the help we can get! COlumbus is a GREAT town .. I love it down there! Also where at in Florida did you live .. I lived in St Pete for 10 years ... miss it all the time!

I'm just 90 minutes down the road in Cap Coral (just west of Ft Myers). If you ever make it down this way, give me a shout.

I've completely remade the inside of my 180g tank. It had 18-20 huge coral colonies and most of them didn't fluoresce. And the few that did, fluoresced green. So I fragged all the big colonies and moved all the smaller corals I've been buying over the last year from a frag tank to the 180g DT. It now has over 80 corals and many fluoresce in colors other than green. It's almost like having an entirely new tank! Love those blue leds!

OP
OP
specialk

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indeed I will! We actually may be heading down that way for the Kenny Chesney country bash down by the beach there in Lauderdale.

Also if you ever get some time, post some pics of that 180 .. would love to see it!

OP
OP
specialk

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, meant to ask you .. what do you recommend keeping your blues and whites at for sps? I do have some softies in there as well, but want to eventually have mainly all sps corals.

Back