Reef Radiance 165p+

kapnkush608

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just pulled the trigger and bought two fixtures. Anybody got some pics over their tanks so I can see what I have to look forward to. :)

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1419606139.615616.jpg
these are the 165e not much diff than yours just not programmable

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at the Reef Radiance section.....there are some large threads dedicated to this light with pictures and lighting schedules. Here is a pic of mine when I first set them up. I have since reduced all three channels....I ended up bleaching a small Torch unfortunately (even though I used a PAR meter to match my old LEDs....these lights are extremely strong).

Attachments

• IMG_2399.jpg
    IMG_2399.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 487
OP
OP
kapnkush608

kapnkush608

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tanks guys. I'm really excited for the lights I kinda let my tank sit on the back burner for a while now it looks like butt so now I'm revamping it to get it back to its prime!!

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just told my other forum that I ordered this light and I was told not to go with just these lights use my t5's as well because these LEDs do not have a good UV spectrum and will not do for all corals. Can anybody back that up or debunk it I'm feeling kind of crappy now

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know there are those who just arent ready to change so far i like mine getting great pe and decent growth. They use t5 supplement because of shadowing. Led is more focused than t5

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your other forum was half right. They don't have UV. T5 bulb emit a super tiny amount of UV, and MH bulbs emit quite a lot.

The bit about them not working will depend on your own personal Blue thumb. They can work fine if you're able to maintain excellent water control, stability, and thoughtful coral fish and invert stocking

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your other forum was half right. They don't have UV. T5 bulb emit a super tiny amount of UV, and MH bulbs emit quite a lot.

The bit about them not working will depend on your own personal Blue thumb. They can work fine if you're able to maintain excellent water control, stability, and thoughtful coral fish and invert stocking
With the exception of tryung to balance calcium and alk. My params are close to perfect. I'm workin on that balance. So thats ok. Ill have to read up on uv its affects and necasity. Thanks

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ca and alk balance and stability will have a much stronger and more immediate impact on coral health than lighting. Read up on UV. you'll find very little science and a whole lot of conflicting opinions and anecdotes. One thing to remember. Look up led success stories. There are plenty. Only kessils contain UV light. The lions share of success stories are with radions and AI sols. No UV in either.

Lastly. Ignore manufacturer stats. Companies like reef breeders, reef radiance, ocean revive, ecotech radion, ai hydra 52, ghl, ect all claim to contain "x number of 420 nm UV's or x number of 400 nm UV's" in their lights. Those are all violet. Not UV. UV light is specifically that which falls BELOW 400 nm and is invisible to the human eye. That's just catchy marketing jargon on their part. Violet is more beneficial to photosynthesis than true UV is anyway. That's why if you look at a kessil multichip close up, a handful of black spots will appear amongst the array of colored diodes. Those black spots are actually 395 nm UV diodes. The eye cannot see it so they look like dead LEDs. They're not. Just FYI.

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ca and alk balance and stability will have a much stronger and more immediate impact on coral health than lighting. Read up on UV. you'll find very little science and a whole lot of conflicting opinions and anecdotes. One thing to remember. Look up led success stories. There are plenty. Only kessils contain UV light. The lions share of success stories are with radions and AI sols. No UV in either.

Lastly. Ignore manufacturer stats. Companies like reef breeders, reef radiance, ocean revive, ecotech radion, ai hydra 52, ghl, ect all claim to contain "x number of 420 nm UV's or x number of 400 nm UV's" in their lights. Those are all violet. Not UV. UV light is specifically that which falls BELOW 400 nm and is invisible to the human eye. That's just catchy marketing jargon on their part. Violet is more beneficial to photosynthesis than true UV is anyway. That's why if you look at a kessil multichip close up, a handful of black spots will appear amongst the array of colored diodes. Those black spots are actually 395 nm UV diodes. The eye cannot see it so they look like dead LEDs. They're not. Just FYI.

Thankyou. This sounds like the most level headed advice yet. So ill hget that balance perfect. Still figuring out the dosing. And I will just see how the 165s do. Sounds like they'll be fine

OP
OP
kapnkush608

kapnkush608

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sooo... my lights should be here tomorrow. i feel like ive been waiting for a century. im nervous like a first date *****.

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the look of the LEDs very much. I have noticed growth on my SPS has stayed about the same. it's a little early but it looks like growth on my LPS has slowed a bit. I have always had trouble with my Zoas so it is hard to say with them. I have a neon yellow toadstool that was degrading for a good month before the LEDs that appears to be recovering now so that is great and my other softies are doing well too. I have had a duncan since the beginning of my tank that is starting to show trouble. the last 4 days it has not opened at all. it is still too early to tell if it is lighting issues but this is definitely a difference from how my tank has been. I have read that duncan are prone to closing for days without any reason. So I will hold judgement on this issue. I need to get a par meter if you can use those with LEDs. I have both fixtures hung fairly high about three feet above the tank. it is really hard to tell if different corals are getting the intensity that they need. but overall I would say the tank is doing pretty good. so at this moment I will say that I am very satisfied with my 165 P plusses. :)

is it possible for different types of coral to be healthier under different types of lighting?

miamiangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Reef radiance lights have worked great for me ,birdnest 3 types , monties (red green ,purple ) Hoolywood stunner ,jedi mind trick ,chalices and millies have grown with my lights .I don't usually keep track of all the SPS names but the lights do work.
My dunkins started with one head and now up to six ,same as my acans have started to color up also

Last edited:

miamiangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the look of the LEDs very much. I have noticed growth on my SPS has stayed about the same. it's a little early but it looks like growth on my LPS has slowed a bit. I have always had trouble with my Zoas so it is hard to say with them. I have a neon yellow toadstool that was degrading for a good month before the LEDs that appears to be recovering now so that is great and my other softies are doing well too. I have had a duncan since the beginning of my tank that is starting to show trouble. the last 4 days it has not opened at all. it is still too early to tell if it is lighting issues but this is definitely a difference from how my tank has been. I have read that duncan are prone to closing for days without any reason. So I will hold judgement on this issue. I need to get a par meter if you can use those with LEDs. I have both fixtures hung fairly high about three feet above the tank. it is really hard to tell if different corals are getting the intensity that they need. but overall I would say the tank is doing pretty good. so at this moment I will say that I am very satisfied with my 165 P plusses. :)

is it possible for different types of coral to be healthier under different types of lighting?

Without a par meter it will be hard to tell but I think your not getting the full light you need for your corals ,I have my leds 10 inches above the water inline. 12inches below the water line center I get a par reading of 260-300

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without a par meter it will be hard to tell but I think your not getting the full light you need for your corals ,I have my leds 10 inches above the water inline. 12inches below the water line center I get a par reading of 260-300
to be honest I have never really got into par readings. I am Not sure what optimal par readings are 4 different corals. all my corals seem pretty happy there are one or two that might even be getting too much light it appears. my tank is only a 40 breeder and is not that deep. what size is your tank? how many lights do you run? Are they the 165 P pluses? My SPS are growing fantastic so I know they are getting enough light. my LPS are also growing as well as they did under my Vhos.I also have a plate on the sand that seems to be just fine.
I have a grape Montipora,Hollywood stunner, meteor shower, red planet and a green cap as well as yellow Monte that all seem to be doing fine. the green cap and red planet have actually gained color since the LEDs

miamiangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got three tanks running on Reef Radiance leds . I have the same corals also . I got a 65 gal with Lumentec 240,60gal with Lumentec 180 and a 29gal with a DM132 which will be upgraded to a DM 165p+ I hope by next week ,The DM132 was doing great growing corals but I like the idea of ramping up and down the light. Plus it has more power which I probably wont use . I like the A I and Radion leds just cant see spending a ton of money if these lights will do the same thing.

Tankd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved my Reef Radiance for about 7 months. Good growth on all corals and made the tank looked great (full spectrum). The last month the blue channel on one light went out. Only had the white going. My corals on that side of the tank were not happy. I contacted Reef Radiance and was told that this is normal for their light but normally doesn't happen until one year or so. I couldn't believe what they told me. When I questioned further, they backed off a little on their statement but I have it in writing. Customer service took a few days each time to respond and said I would have to send the unit back (along with $59)and it would take a few weeks to repair. How am I going to be without half of my tank lighting for a couple of weeks. I asked them if I can buy a comparable light and they said that they are out of stock for a few weeks. I ended up buying I a different brand fixture and asked ReefRadiance who I send the light to (what address, what name etc) and have not heard back yet (over 2 weeks).
I get home today and the other Reef Radiance fixture malfunctioned again on the blue channel. So now I am down 2 Reef Radiance units and not getting any satisfaction from Reef Radiance. I did really like the lights when there're working.
Just wondering why both failed and they told me these had a history of failing after about a year. Who buys a $240+ fixture and only has it last for about a year. Disappointed!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back