"Calibrate" your Radions tonight!!

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening, Radion-a-holics!

Have you ever been watching your Radions ramp up in the morning and ramp down in the evening, then notice that the LEDs differ in intensity and color?

A while ago, while sipping my morning java, I noticed that two of my three Radions came on before the third. On top of that, I noticed what was 2% 20K for one was not the same for the others. Recently on the EcoTech Facebook feed and the PTT chat forum, the topic of calibrating arose. Users who calibrated their Radions (even single fixture users) reported more popping fluorescence in their corals and a balanced light spectrum amongst multiple fixtures.

How do you get started, you ask? Log into EcoSmartLive. Choose "devices" in the upper left corner. Choose the "cog" icon and "calibrate" will be the last option. On the next screen you'll be able to choose each LED color and follow the instructions to click "yes" or "no" whether you see the light or not. (It's difficult to explain here, but self explanatory on ESL).

Here's some tips that others are sharing.

-Calibrate in a completely dark room.
-Calibrate when lights are cold. (Although people have done it midday. This tip is debatable, but most people's lights are off in the early A.M. and late P.M. which also happens to be the darkest time in your fish room.)

Please share your calibrating experiences if you have done it already.

If not, walk us through your process and share your thoughts post-calibration!

Thanks!

Randy
EcoTech Product Test Team

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool! Following! I've never done mine.

OP
OP
RandoReefer

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool! Following! I've never done mine.

Very cool, mdbannister! It's almost a must for multiple Radion users. We'll see if it becomes a part of the initial setup feature for EcoSmartLive users.. ;)

Although, for Apex users, it may be best to do this before switching to the WXM. From my experiences, I had to revert to an "optional" firmware in order to successfully link my Radions and VorTechs to the WXM module. (The one that solves the WXM disconnect issues. ) When I converted to the ReefLink, I had to reset the Radions to be recognized by EcoSmartLive.

Now, there may be smarter people on this topic, but I'm unsure if the conversion BACK to WXM will require a reversion back to this "magic firmware".... But I suppose I could try it out and report back.

Anyone else?

Randy

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don\t have radions, desk lamp master race!
No, but I do plan on getting radions in the future, and I'll find a way to make them look like jourdys!

berbotty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surely doing a factory reset is just as good - I am still having trouble with one of my lights always being brighter no matter what I do

OP
OP
RandoReefer

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
following... waiting for one more light.
Have you calibrated the one you do have yet?

Surely doing a factory reset is just as good - I am still having trouble with one of my lights always being brighter no matter what I do
Have you tried calibrating yet? It solved the same issue for me!

OP
OP
RandoReefer

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see the cog in my devices? Is this just for gen 3? I have gen 2..

Here is the view from my "Devices" page. Yours is not the same?

Please let me know, I will place an inquiry with the others and get back to you immediately.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422157867.564683.jpg

OP
OP
RandoReefer

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I don't have a reef link yet.

You won't need ReefLink to calibrate, nor will you need your other light. As long as you can access the ESL page (with the Connection Manager) you will be able to calibrate.

The calibration is done independently on each light, so when you get your new one you will simply calibrate it. Done and done!

i dont see a cog icon in my devices either...

I'm working on an answer for this butters417. My initial thought is that you may need to update the Radion firmware, or "refresh" the devices, but I'll have a more informed answer for you soon.

Randy
Ecotech Product Test Team

Keepswiming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the view from my "Devices" page. Yours is not the same?

Please let me know, I will place an inquiry with the others and get back to you immediately.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422157867.564683.jpg
Yes mine looks like that with the gen 2. I click on the tab where your mouse is and nothing happens ?!

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won't need ReefLink to calibrate, nor will you need your other light. As long as you can access the ESL page (with the Connection Manager) you will be able to calibrate.

The calibration is done independently on each light, so when you get your new one you will simply calibrate it. Done and done!

I'm working on an answer for this butters417. My initial thought is that you may need to update the Radion firmware, or "refresh" the devices, but I'll have a more informed answer for you soon.

Randy
Ecotech Product Test Team

Thanks! I've been itching to hook it up....

OP
OP
RandoReefer

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont see a cog icon in my devices either...

Yes mine looks like that with the gen 2. I click on the tab where your mouse is and nothing happens ?!

OK so just doing a bit of digging... the buttons are Java enabled so first things first.... Is Java up to date on your machines? Are you using Google Chrome? It doesn't work as well on Internet Explorer...

The EcoTech Customer Service would be my first start, though. They know these products better than anyone! :)

Last edited:

butters417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i found the cog and i was trying to upgrade the firmware on the radion, it was having trouble so i closed out of ecosmartlive and reopened and now my radion wont connect to the reeflink...i immediately regret trying to mess with this...

gatekeeperdi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people have been having problems after trying to calibrate them so I think I'll wait until the problems have been ironed out before I risk doing anything with mine. Lol!

OP
OP
RandoReefer

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people have been having problems after trying to calibrate them so I think I'll wait until the problems have been ironed out before I risk doing anything with mine. Lol!

I'm not aware of any problems after calibrating. Can you please post a link to the comments?

I've heard nothing but great things coming from calibrating, especially from people with multiple Radions who experience a difference in color and intensity of the various LEDs, between the fixtures.

It's quite the buzz on other EcoTech-centric feeds, like this group on FaceBook, "Ecotech Radion Lighting Schedules and Related Products"

In my, and other's, opinion this should be a part of the setup procedures after first purchasing Radions.

Randy

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%

Back