Need help with light choice

dzones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a 56 column and was wondering if a single light fixture like an AI Sol will cover the 30" spread. It seems a little overkill to use 2 on a tank this wide despite the depth.
Or would a single 24" unit suit it better in your opinion.

Feel free to add your brand of choice as well.

Thanks in advance

Stephanie11

Fragaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I'd use two lights.

I have a 40b frag tank. Yes different tank but 36 inch long. I had a reef breeders photon 16 hung 24in over and it was not enough light for the ends and everything in the middle was getting too much light. I bought another fixture.

Alabamareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I'm not a fan of a light hanging so high off the tank. Kills you, or your kids, eyes when trying t look at the tank. The Vertex Illumina SR360 1 foot LED is made to sit lower over the water, 4 inches off the surface and I think a couple more inches would cover your spread.
Vertex Illumina SR360 LED Light Fixture - Bulk Reef Supply

OP
OP
dzones

dzones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info so far guys.

Those Vertex lights look pretty sweet for sure. Price is for sure up there, they must be pretty proud of them ;).
Has anyone here used them and feel the extra $$$ is justified? If so why?

I think if I use 2 lights it would have to be more like spots like the Kessil 160's. They look quite nice for sure, especially now that they come dimmable and linkable.

WOW those Mars Aqua lights really have some wattage to make use of. And so many different spectrums/colors in each unit. I was looking at the one you listed for 300w. It is the same size (30") as my tank so I could lay it over top without having to worry about my eyes.. And that price WOW!!. Anyone have any experience with these?

Again thanks for all the info so far :)

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone on here linked that fixture, they are currently using it, just can't remember where I saw it.
The unit is 31"x7.28"x2.4", therfore it should sit up on your tank nicely.

Alabamareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Vertex illumina. Actually I can buy them at cost and the price BRS has is cheeper than I can get them for. Its a quality light no complaints here. You can adjust them to do whatever you want. If you do decide to get it and you want the bracket to set it on top of your aquarium let me know and I"ll make you a sweet deal. I never used the ones that came with mine.

The lights that Reefing Madness posted look like a good deal also.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back