Kessil 360we advice needed!!

Gwitness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a standard 180 gallon mixed reef tank with a heavy load of SPS....I have 1 kessil on each side of the tank and 2 in the middle section of the tank...I also have an 80 watt ATI blue plus bulb on the front and back part of the canopy..( kessils in the middle)....I have had them on my tank about 2 months now and my lps always look good but some of the SPS just look alright...Right now I have my color maxing out at 50% and intensity is 50% also for about 6 hours....My T5s are on with my kessils for 6 hours also...just curious if this was a common color percentage and intensity percentage for those that keep SPS??? I am only curious on how to get the best lighting for my SPS...lps will be fine regardless.......

Also, I understand that the kessils are full spectrum no matter what the color percent is at, but if I turn the color percent more towards the white spectrum will that burn corals easier? or be better or worse for them in some way?? EVENTHOUGH they stay in full spectrum regardless??

jolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my Kessil a360we at 40% intensity and 60% color. It is at 7.5" above water, and 22" to the sandbed. If I turn it much higher intensity than that I start to bleach SPS at the top of the tank. I know others who have different results using higher intensity, but that is what works for me.

jvb89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 a360we's over a 40 breeder about 8 inches from the water and I have my peak photo period for 6hrs at 100% intensity @ 50% color with no issues

jvb89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can take a while for six to acclimate to led lights and really color up

OP
OP
Gwitness

Gwitness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay got it...I'll just be patient then and keep everything as stable as possible in the mean time....ur 40 isn't deep at all...what did you originally start your kessils at before you got them up to 100%?

choff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 4 of the original Kessil 360s (15 pct weaker) and 4xt5s. I max out at 70 pct and my lights are 5" above the water line. It's a 150g tank 22" deep.

My sps are about halfway up and I have no issues with burn out. I do have some issues with Lps on the sandbed. I have to keep my acanthophyllias partially shaded.

I run mine through apex<br />
<br />
Intensity<br />
7.30 20pct<br />
11.30 65pct<br />
15.00 70pct<br />
19.30 12pct<br />
<br />
Color<br />
7.30 20pct<br />
11.30 60pct<br />
15.00 65pct<br />
19.30 10pct<br />
<br />
Front pair of t5 (blue plus, coral plus). 11.30 to 15.30<br />
<br />
Rear t5 (blue plus, 6500) 12.30 to 16.30<br />
<br />

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gwitness

Gwitness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 4 of the original Kessil 360s (15 pct weaker) and 4xt5s. I max out at 70 pct and my lights are 5" above the water line. It's a 150g tank 22" deep.

My sps are about halfway up and I have no issues with burn out. I do have some issues with Lps on the sandbed. I have to keep my acanthophyllias partially shaded.

I remember talking to you right when I got mine on....I was just curious to what people do....what did you start your kessils at when you first stared? And did you just go up 10% each week or something?? I know yours are 15% weaker so I'm guessing instead of 70% max for me I should probably mad at like 55 or 60% then.....I guess

OP
OP
Gwitness

Gwitness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I understand no matter the color percent the kessil is in full spectrum regardless but are you more likely to burn sps the higher the color percent is??

mikellini

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the UV in the kessil's is most likely to be what burns corals first, and I think that's even throughout the spectrum. FWIW I'm running at 50% intensity ramping up and down steadily over 10 hours. I started at 30 and went to 50, going one percent per day, and I saw burnt tips on an acro at the top of the tank right when I hit 50%. Thinking about continuing with a slower ramp (one percent every 3 days maybe) to try and hit 60

OP
OP
Gwitness

Gwitness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a great idea and a great point about the uv light in the spectrum!! Didn't even think of that...I don't have an apex so I think I can only go up 5% at a time...how deep is your tank and how high off the water are they?? I also have the 2 t5 bulbs that are on 6 hrs a day when my kessils are at the max part of the day

mr_gasket

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my color looks kinda like this "_-/\-_" except the bottom of the ramps should align with the dash next to them. It goes 0%, 50%, 50-80%, 80-50%, 50%, 0%. I've slowly been increasing the peak of the ramp by 5%. The ramp up is 60 mins long and the ramp down is 60 mins. My light is about 7 inches off the water with acros popping out of the water directly below the light. I would wait a month before you increase the intensity/color instead of a week.

jvb89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 40 is pretty shallow. I didn't have the controller at first so a slowly ramped up the intensity over a 2 month period

choff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't recall exactly how I started, but I believe it was the 50 pct intensity and color I just did by eye.

A month ago when I replaced 2 of my blue plus bulbs I had some issues with my sps and I backed my intensity down 10 pct.

mikellini

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah 50% is really quite high only 8" above the water. I have a birds of paradise fairly high in the tank that has lost most of its colour, might have to move it lower...

OP
OP
Gwitness

Gwitness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah 50% is really quite high only 8" above the water. I have a birds of paradise fairly high in the tank that has lost most of its colour, might have to move it lower...

What is your photoperiod like?? And what's your schedule if you don't mind

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 38.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back