LED Refugium Light

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was wondering if anyone uses an LED for their refugium, I current have a CF light that is built for hydroponics. The problem is that the light pumps out a lot of heat and I do not like that so I was thinking of changing over to an LED light but wanted opinions first. Thanks!

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of people these days are using Par 20 & 30 LED Flood Lights or LED Security Lights. I am still using a DIY unit I built 4 years ago or using CPU fan/heatsinks with Red, White and Blue 3w Cree emitters. I would just buy a 3-5K Par 30 if starting from scratch now.

Cheers, Todd

Dcmatranga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a BuildMyLED 12" green algae spectrum refugium light - I cannot say enough good things about it. The growth in my chaeto from this light is ridiculous, has a remote driver and runs cool, I highly recommend. They are a little more expensive than the PAR lamps, but from my experience - you get what you pay for and these are well worth it.

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of people these days are using Par 20 & 30 LED Flood Lights or LED Security Lights. I am still using a DIY unit I built 4 years ago or using CPU fan/heatsinks with Red, White and Blue 3w Cree emitters. I would just buy a 3-5K Par 30 if starting from scratch now.

Cheers, Todd
If I was going to do a DIY, where would you suggest I get my LEDs from?

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a BuildMyLED 12" green algae spectrum refugium light - I cannot say enough good things about it. The growth in my chaeto from this light is ridiculous, has a remote driver and runs cool, I highly recommend. They are a little more expensive than the PAR lamps, but from my experience - you get what you pay for and these are well worth it.
I have never heard of them before, i'll have to check them out

Pirates.Reef

High End Coral Collector / Vendor
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the 120w equivalent Phillips LED light bulb from home depot and its growth is incredible. At one point my chaeto grew so fast it died from lack of nutrients and to much light. I had to dial back the time the light was on.

Zippy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the 120w equivalent Phillips LED light bulb from home depot and its growth is incredible. At one point my chaeto grew so fast it died from lack of nutrients and to much light. I had to dial back the time the light was on.

+1 but mine is a 60 watt

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were dead set on building my own would go through Rapid LED more than likely but, easier and cheaper nowadays to just buy 8-14w LED Floods in 3000-5000 Kelvin and simply screw into a clamp on fixture or standard plastic medium base also available at the Big Blue or Orange Box Stores.

Cheers, Todd

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were dead set on building my own would go through Rapid LED more than likely but, easier and cheaper nowadays to just buy 8-14w LED Floods in 3000-5000 Kelvin and simply screw into a clamp on fixture or standard plastic medium base also available at the Big Blue or Orange Box Stores.

Cheers, Todd

I agree with Todd. That's what I did had cfl and this is much better. You can buy it at Wally World too.

Back