Led underwater fuge light

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are any of you using underwater led fuge lights? If so how many watts and what spectrum?

I'm thinking of building 2 strips each consisting of 3x 1w leds. For each side of my filter basket. This would be for growing cheato

If anyone else has done something similar do you have any tips/ recommendation ?
Should I use just 6500k or add in a 4500k as well?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424413723.626034.jpg

Finnaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well they do make submersible LED lights but not anything strong enough to light a fuge up. There are a couple of Nano fuge lights available that I would look into.

OP
OP
shiftline

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inatank had a halogen one. What about putting 3x 1w leds inside a acrylic tube. Or one of Those LeD cob boards. My only real concern is if the led needs any type of cooling and it it would work fine sealed in an acrylic or glass tube

Either one 1 the center or one on each side of the media basket
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424545159.712563.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424545167.725907.jpg

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome concept.

For the Fuge ensure you have a good mix of 450nm Royal Blue, 660nm Red and a couple of Warm and Cool Cree LEDs.

Heat is one issue along with salt creep/spray. Conformal coating and potting is a must.

Been working on this concept for a while but its a bit more than an under water flashlight.

Bill

OP
OP
shiftline

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey bill. I still want to build one but went with a cob based back of glass light. I still think underwater is a great concept. Could even use a long tube with an open end above water for cooling if needed

soggytees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to see one of these! I'm wondering why it hasn't already been done. Would it possibly have to do with the heat generated by a light that is strong enough to be useful? I'm thinking heat dissipation would probably be easy considering it's in the water. Maybe I'm missing something...

miamiangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think It would be hard to keep clean , rather use a home depot led light bulb 7 dollars and hang It on top of the fuge .

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I did. I made my own refugium basket. (On the right)
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1426901646.476957.jpg

Then I got this 4 led magnetic light made by JBJ the Nano-Glo.
It's magnetic so I put it up against the glass with the magnet and found the chaeto closest to light turning yellow, so I took out the magnet and velcro'd the light to the wall behind the tank. Now I got this! Full of Copepods and amphipods!
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1426901998.369192.jpg

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heat dissipation is a challenging hurdle.

The Heatsinks are Aluminum and not toxic I would prefer it not to corrode underwater.

One could pump in air but thats an extra part that may fail

We are very close to releasing a Prototype Fully Waterproof.

The next major hurdle is testing which would take months in an actual submersed environment.

Bill

Bbaz123456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea...but would require almost daily maintenance and who is going to remember to do that in a fuge. My Dt lights are submerged and encased in 1" acrylic because I had no other choice. I have to clean them daily due to the microalgae growing on them. If I let it go 2-3 days I'd estimate losing 50% of my light....probably why it hasn't been done.

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why I get the light on the back not submerged. I do get a film of algae on the back glass on the inside, but easily clean it out during water changes. The chaeto is not affected by the reduced light though .[emoji4]

BigdaddyO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the nano-glo, yet to have to use it cause im waiting on a filter basket to arrive thats lost somewhere at the usps. Cant wait though to get my tank set-up just waiting on the basket ugh if its not here tomorrow im gona just make one which i should did anyway.
Shiftline, how has yous worked out so far??

OP
OP
shiftline

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My DIY back of class one is excellent and grows cheato like crazy. Underwater one hasn't happened yet

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 76 43.9%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 21 12.1%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.5%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 49 28.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back