Advice on different LEDs

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is more of a curiosity then a definite but I was just wondering. I have 3 reef radiance dm155e led fixtures above my 6ft 150g. Each light requires 2 plugs(blue and white) which is taking up some real estate on my apex eb8. Not a big deal bc I do have another eb8 but still.

My question is, what other lights would go well for my setup(mixed reef eventually)? How many lights would I need? And how much do you think I could get for 3 dm155e fixtures?

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just combine them with 'Y' Cables from E-bay or upgrade them with Apex Mod Kits from Reef Radiance to run them through the VDM ports on Apex. The new DM-165 P models have only a single power cable angled out the back if wanting to go cleaner looking. I'd put up the DM 155's or 165's against any on the market including EcoTech/AI units. They are very easy to mod as well if wanting better blended coverage adding 120* optics or even selectively changing out a few emitters which you can purchase from Reef Breeders for a $1.50 ea. Happy to help if interested.

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just combine them with 'Y' Cables from E-bay or upgrade them with Apex Mod Kits from Reef Radiance to run them through the VDM ports on Apex. The new DM-165 P models have only a single power cable angled out the back if wanting to go cleaner looking. I'd put up the DM 155's or 165's against any on the market including EcoTech/AI units. They are very easy to mod as well if wanting better blended coverage adding 120* optics or even selectively changing out a few emitters which you can purchase from Reef Breeders for a $1.50 ea. Happy to help if interested.

Cheers, Todd
I didn't know they even had a newer light. Also didn't know there was a Y cable. My main issue is the fixture on the right side of my tank is stretching to the apex since my sump is in the way. I would like to do single cords to free up some space for other equipment possibly down the road. Maybe I'll look into the newer lights. They probably aren't really expensive either.

Bow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could also do a power strip in each eb8 outlet and plug all the cords into that

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each channel into a separate strip. Would only take up 3 spaces
How? Each fixture has 2 channels = 2 plugs. If I put a power strip on an eb8 socket, I'd only be able to control on/off for all 6 at once.

Bow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put all blue on one strip all white on another. Plug each strip into a different outlet. All colors should go on and off together but take up less space on eb8

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put all blue on one strip all white on another. Plug each strip into a different outlet. All colors should go on and off together but take up less space on eb8
Ok now that makes sense. That could actually work but I always feel weird about plugging power strips into power strips lol

Bow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like doing it either but you are going to draw the same amperage. Only thing u have to watch is the amperage each eb8 outlet can handle

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would u recommend maybe putting them into higher outlets. I forget, r they the 10v sockets maybe?

Bow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't remember exactly what they are rated for, and not sure what 3 of those lights draw

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sobo, do you run them off the VDM ports ? If you run them only through the Apex as a timer you can purchase 2 'Y' power cord adapters and setup somewhat of a Sunrise --> Sunset effect by having 1st plug be a Blue Channel on Light #1, 2nd plug be Y'd for White Channel Light #1 and Blue Channel Light #2, 3rd plug be Blue Channel Light #3 (turning on 3rd for Sunrise and turning off 4th/last for Sunset) 4th plug for White Channels Light #2&3 (turning on 4th and turning off 3rd).

This only frees up 2 outlets but gives a nice Lighting Schedule if not using the VDM ports, or even more advanced with. The 'Y' adapters will give you about a foot of extra cord length as well. I run six independent front-to-back circuits with VDM's for a full East-to-West Sunrise to Sunset Solar schedule over my Reeftank. Old pic but shows the layout well, right is East in orientation. Next pic shows just first circuit mostly ramped up and 2nd just beginning.

LED array 1-18-14.jpg
Sunrise on the Reef (2) 5-15-14.jpg

Cheers, Todd

Attachments

• Morning in the Reeftank 7-24-14.jpg
    Morning in the Reeftank 7-24-14.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that Todd. I don't have the VDM module. I used to but never thought I'd use it. Now I'm kicking myself for selling it! I'll look into the Y cables and see how that works

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They dont pull very much power have two 165e on my 90 when all channels on combined pull less than 1 amp my heaters pull more

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back