AI Prime thoughts.

Fat Panda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ai prime.jpg

Installed my AI prime today. i also purchased the AI metal mount that is made for the Prime.

here are my thoughts about the ai prime, the mount, and the My AI program for android.

Prime- well built solid construction. very compact and easy to handle. great light output from the single puck. comes wifi enabled

mount- solid black brush aluminum construction. my only gripe about it is that. the supplied screw that holds the mount to the tank is plastic and was not easy to screw in. made it difficult to install in my 12g nano. other than that the mount is great.

My AI - simple easy to use. the amount of customization is lacking. not able to set up multiple schedules. cant change the percentage of weather effects.

all things im sure that AI can improve upon with a simple update. all in all i love the light. running it at about 50% right now.

miamiangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same 12 gal nano . I am thinking of getting the same light . does It cover the whole area . I will be following .

SeeCrabRun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think it would cover a 20 tall? That's 24x12" footprint. I was thinking it would need 2, but now I'm curious if I could get by with 1 considering my rock work isn't wall to wall.

OP
OP
F

Fat Panda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think it would cover a 20 tall? That's 24x12" footprint. I was thinking it would need 2, but now I'm curious if I could get by with 1 considering my rock work isn't wall to wall.
im certain you could get away with it. just focus more things towards the center. of your light.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great review, keep us posted on coral growth!

OP
OP
F

Fat Panda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so far the light is wonderful. getting good color on my polyps and shrooms. as well as things that were closed before are starting to open. currently my only gripe is with the mount. it attaches to a pivot ball that you tighten to a set position of your choice. the problem is the supplied bearing is plastic so if you over tighten it. the plastic bearing breaks. hopefully they will find a solution to this.

OP
OP
F

Fat Panda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive witnessed a failure in the mount. The ball swivel that attaches to the mount. The bushing fails. The light seems to be too heavy as to leaving the light in a fixed position. I woke up to my light slumped over so I disassembled and noticed the plastic bushing rounded out. So in true mcguyver fashion I cut a rubberband the size of the bushing and put in. Mount now.works perfect. No more limp light.

zoous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting mine Monday. I didn't get the mount. Wanted to see what other people thoughts are it. Thanks for the write up.

OP
OP
F

Fat Panda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Np. Mount is cheap compared to the radion mount which is almost $100. Prime mount is less than $30. Still impressed with the product but wish the bushing was better. Tibetans will do.

eloehr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank mount does suck. I just got my Prime and mount today. Light has been limp from step 1. +1 for you making it at least over night. I am looking for a rubber band now!

kuros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI posted this youtube video on the Prime mount, I'm not sure if this is the standard instructions that came with the mount but thought i'd post the link to see if it helps. http://youtu.be/AEyLt6FbYcc

I haven't purchased the light yet but I am leaning to the hanging kit...hope it works better than the tank mount.

eloehr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the rubberband trick mentioned above. Got my light to stay erect, but I need to turn it a bit. Rubberband seems to slowly pull it back to where it wants. Did you wrap the band around the ball or in the cup of the pressure plate? What a point of sale ball joint. I can't wait to talk to AI on Monday.

eloehr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI posted this youtube video on the Prime mount, I'm not sure if this is the standard instructions that came with the mount but thought i'd post the link to see if it helps. http://youtu.be/AEyLt6FbYcc

I haven't purchased the light yet but I am leaning to the hanging kit...hope it works better than the tank mount.

Assembly isn't the problem. It is the cheap plastic ball joint. It can hold the weight of the.light. The light hangs limp. Basically pointing at a 45 degree angle towards the back wall.

eloehr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assembly isn't the problem. It is the cheap plastic ball joint. It can hold the weight of the.light. The light hangs limp. Basically pointing at a 45 degree angle towards the back wall.

Sorry,
It can't hold the weight of the light.

OP
OP
F

Fat Panda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the rubberband trick mentioned above. Got my light to stay erect, but I need to turn it a bit. Rubberband seems to slowly pull it back to where it wants. Did you wrap the band around the ball or in the cup of the pressure plate? What a point of sale ball joint. I can't wait to talk to AI on Monday.

i took out the supplied bushing and replaced it with a rubber band. i am still able to angle my light with the rubber band in place. maybe cut the rubberband down a bit so its not so big. good luck.

eloehr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I talked with AI yesterday. They acted like the mount has no defects but are shipping me a new one....they did say to position the light the way you want it before tightening the 2 screws that hold the ball joint to the upper arm. After those are tight, not to move or "flex" the light or the plastic bushing can fail. At least I am getting a new mount, but they shouldn't advertise that you can rotate or twist the light to aim.

OP
OP
F

Fat Panda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still convinced the mount will fail. slight vibrations and the weight of the light itself will not allow you to position it without it going limp. i tried multiple times. good luck. hope you get it resolved. been a 4-5 days since i did the rubberband mod and have had no issues.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 31 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back