Kessil or Radion?

Reef_Obsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'm new to LEDs but i'm looking for a fixture for my frag tank - 44x24x7. The tank will contain 95% zoanthids/palys and 5% mix of LPS and SPS
I've done some reading but i'm still not sure what the best option is, I'm looking at the going with 2 Kessil a160 or 1 a360 or 1 Radion XR30w Pro. I've heard decent things about the eBay LEDs, but I am hesitant on buying off brand lights for my expensive corals.

Are LEDs better at promoting growth than T5s? I'm seeing decent growth with my 4xT5s in my main 100g display, but a few local reefers suggested that I look into LEDs for my frag tank.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a Radion G3 over my old tank and it was neat at first but In the end was not impressive. The timer was a nice feature but none of my corals had any decent coloration or growth under it. I ended up selling it off for a kessil a350w and within a week i saw much better colors and encrusting happening very fast. if I ever setup another tank I will only use Kessil as they have always done well for me and the shimmer cant be beat. I will never own another overpriced Ecotech product again between the vortech and the light I owned. I am sure plenty of fan boys will get on my back but from personal experience they are overpriced and better options out there cheaper.
I still think T5 give better growth and color but the downside of them is replacing bulbs and just the size of the fixtures and also power consumption between the 2. Best option would be a nice T5 unit with some LED supplementing

Last edited:

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the PAR (ok PUR really) is close all forms of light give pretty similar growth. If you want faster growth then feed the coral appropriately sized food, that does more for growth than worrying about light types. Lighting and nutrient load does directly impact/change coral colors. The big caveat to that is the 1st line, if the coral is in similar PAR and it's appropriate for the coral.

So don't worry about growth with lighting types, they are pretty close and growth determined more by nutrient inputs/outputs. As for color I am happy with my hydra 26s, but that becomes a personal choice and having the ability to drive light higher to bring out shifts in color, then managing the nutrient levels to play with intensity.

TonyV

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can say that I have had good success with the Kessil and like mentioned above, the shimmer is amazing. I too thoought about the Radions for my new tank build but have settled on the Kessils.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can say that I have had good success with the Kessil and like mentioned above, the shimmer is amazing. I too thoought about the Radions for my new tank build but have settled on the Kessils.

+ 1 but I had the AI Vega colors. Just couldn't get them dialed in correctly and couldn't get sps to do well.

Funbags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think a kessil a160we would light my sps 24x24x24 fine?

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
depends on what you want to keep and where. a single a150w lights my buddies one tank perfectly fine that is about 22x22x22 cube.

OP
OP
Reef_Obsession

Reef_Obsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so it sounds like Kessil is the way to go. I've also just looked into the AI Hydra 52, making the Radion third on my list down - mostly due to being much more expensive than the other two.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will love the Kessil. I have two over one tank and will have them over my new build too. The shimmer is amazing. Word of caution, Kessil provide true UV light and can bleach corals easily. Make sure to acclimate well to the new light.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back