Looking at new lighting for 120g tank

rlhalley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at Kessil 360W and Radion XR30W pro. Anyonw have an opinion on what might work best? Have you used either?

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a different Kessil and love it but I really think with those brands either would work really well. I might suggest going with the Kessil because they cost less and for that size tank you will need 2-3 lights. So it will save you a lot and then you could go buy more corals!!! :D Also is this tank going to be mostly LPS, SPS, softies, ect?

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have not used those two, but I like the setup I have now on my 120. 4 hydra 26's. Could get by with 3 though.

OP
OP
R

rlhalley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a different Kessil and love it but I really think with those brands either would work really well. I might suggest going with the Kessil because they cost less and for that size tank you will need 2-3 lights. So it will save you a lot and then you could go buy more corals!!! :D Also is this tank going to be mostly LPS, SPS, softies, ect?

The tank will be a mix with mostly zoas.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then I really do not see a point in dropping all that money on Radions, the Kessils will work perfectly and cost a lot less.

chaoha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at replacing the lights on my75 gallon. I think I'm going with the Kessil a360w
With the controller. Great reviews

vladandlilith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a total of 18 Kessil 360 WE's over 6 tanks of varying sizes and I could not be happier. I had the same problem as you. I could not decide whether to go with the Kessils or the Radions until I spoke with a lighting expert at UGA and he suggested that the Kessils were the only light available that could reproduce the full spectrum needed by corals. Whether he was right or wrong I can't tell you, but I can tell you that they will grow the heck out of anything that I put in my tanks. In my reef tanks I have them dialed down to about 45 to 50% on intensity and 60 to 65% on color. I started higher and about bleached everything. Good luck with which ever light that you do choose. I know that it is a hard decision.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back