Kessil Question for Acans

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for those that have their kessils on a controler, what intensity/color % do you have your lights set on for your acans? I have my max out at 50% and 30% intensity but I have started to notice a few of my acans just turning orange. My tank is 20inch deep and the light is about a foot above the tank. Any advice would be great, thanks! Also would love input from vendors who use kessil lights

HandsomeBradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure about kessils entirely but when I had my acans under LEDs they would close up if it was to much. You could try raising the led intensity and see if they close up or stay open. As long as you feed them tho I don't think the kessil will negatively impact them :) acans are also known for color changes but look up tidal gardens on YouTube and watch some of his acan videos he has lots of good info and uses varieties of LEDs from kessils to radions

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure about kessils entirely but when I had my acans under LEDs they would close up if it was to much. You could try raising the led intensity and see if they close up or stay open. As long as you feed them tho I don't think the kessil will negatively impact them :) acans are also known for color changes but look up tidal gardens on YouTube and watch some of his acan videos he has lots of good info and uses varieties of LEDs from kessils to radions
Thanks! I'll look them up now

puffer420

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased my first acan frag about a week and run halides with 5t supplement do you think they'll do good with this light setup

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MH can be a little on the strong side, especially with T5 added in. You should either have the light set on the lowest setting if possible (don't know if MH are adjustable or not) and if you can't do that you should hang the light pretty high up/put the acans in a shaded area. They wont die if they get a bit too much light but they will just turn one color/

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine set to 60% color and 50% intensity. One bigger colony on the bottom and one smaller in the middle. Larger is a orange/red color and the smaller one is a blue/purple color. Lights are 9" off the water and it is a 26" deep tank.

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine set to 60% color and 50% intensity. One bigger colony on the bottom and one smaller in the middle. Larger is a orange/red color and the smaller one is a blue/purple color. Lights are 9" off the water and it is a 26" deep tank.
How are your colors holding up?

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very well. Both colonies came from a eBay Chinese led light system and when moved under the Kessil have stayed consistent.

Decent growth, they aren't huge colonies yet, but new heads showing up.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my acans under a kessil 350 and this might sound crazy but it works. I keep the blue channel at 100% and the other channel all the way down. Colors are amazing and growth has been pretty decent.

I have a colony of SC Mcnasty's while in my display under the halides dulled and never colored up. But I switched them to the kessil under that light setting and not only are they coloring up more and more everyday but the heads also tripled in size.

puffer420

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya the light is pretty hight up. The acan is almost directly center of the 400 20k halide but the halide is 20 inches above the tank. I started with only a 2 color acan to see what happens with the colors with the lights I have.

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my acans under a kessil 350 and this might sound crazy but it works. I keep the blue channel at 100% and the other channel all the way down. Colors are amazing and growth has been pretty decent.

I have a colony of SC Mcnasty's while in my display under the halides dulled and never colored up. But I switched them to the kessil under that light setting and not only are they coloring up more and more everyday but the heads also tripled in size.
I really might do this, I have the A160 so I would keep my color at 0% (meaning 100% blue) right? and what % intensity?

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya the light is pretty hight up. The acan is almost directly center of the 400 20k halide but the halide is 20 inches above the tank. I started with only a 2 color acan to see what happens with the colors with the lights I have.
That is pretty high up so it might not be to strong, if it is you can always move it off center.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back