Economical led lighting.

pmorphb28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 fowlr tank. Currently have a aquatic life hid, t 5, led combo light that spans the whole tank. Bought it used with tank and it works great! The cost to replace the bulbs has me considering leds. Any suggestions for a solid led lighting option that won't break the bank? Thanks!

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my OceanRevive S026s. Mine were $130 from eBay.
If you were to turn reef at some stage, I hear these units are great. I'm yet to put coral under them though.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Breeders is another great option. Do you have a budget in mind?

Bbaz123456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree on the Ocean Revive, but you would probably need 3 if it is a standard 6' tank. Which would put you a little over your budget, but they are great lights for the price.

OP
OP
P

pmorphb28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would need three. I appreciate the help something to keep in mind. On an equipment related note. I just switched from a Iwaki md 100rlt to a Sicce Syncra 5.0. Let me tell you, "Dead Silent!" Super pumped about the new pump!

OP
OP
P

pmorphb28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for the link! The product looks great! Do you use them and if so have you been pleased with the performance?

JerSaint

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do use them and like them a ton. Only upgrade I would use that some of the higher priced units offer is a controller to allow for a morning to night cycle. I think this is a luxury I can live without. Currently I put mine on a timer and that had been doing fine for me. Please note these lights are STRONG! I would start off on 15% White channel and 20% Blue channel and work my way up. I believe most people max out at 50% W and 75% B roughly. Good Luck and enjoy!

OP
OP
P

pmorphb28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JerSaint thanks for the info! Definitely going to check that out. KJ and Nana Reefer, I have a 28g nanocube28 jbj that is my reef tank. The bulb replacement is 50$. Would the led you listed be sufficient for that tank to help my corals thrive? Thanks for your time!

OP
OP
P

pmorphb28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, Reefing Madness would the one you listed work in my nanocube28 to help my corals grow? Thanks

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I use 2 of them on my 240g tank, they work well. Set em and forget em. That would be more than enough on a 28g tank.
Heres some growth pics. I believe its 9 months

Artisan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second the OceanRevive S026! Great light at great price. Shows how overpriced many LED fixtures arez

Honestly, that's not entirely true. I have some of the new Radions and some budget lights and I have to admit that the Radions are quite a lot better. Not only in terms of light quality, but the control, mounting options and build quality are light years ahead. Obviously Radions are expensive, but there are used models available for much less that retain that overall quality over the Chinese lights. It sounds cliche, but you really do get what you pay for. I bought the Radions because the fans on the Chinese lights were too loud for my tank in my living room. That's really a personal preference, but the parts on the Chinese lights are cheap and I was concerned about what might happen when they fail. I understand that everyone is on a budget, but with the amount of money people spend on fish and corals, it's worth the extra $ to buy a better quality light. Again, if you want to save money on lights, buy a higher quality used light. It DOES make a difference.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

pmorphb28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the advice! Noise is a HUGE consideration since my tanks are in the living room. Got some decisions to make.

johnyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was Gina go cheap but I went for the ai hydra lights. They r 400$ each but sooooooooooo worth it man and very vital to your tanks growth and health

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back