red or green...led

chaderduke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats your thoughts...
Just to add the oooo snd ahhhs or do they really add benifets to your reef?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do'nt much see the greens, but you can see some of the red refecting, don't really know how much they add, but you can see the reds

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats your thoughts...
Just to add the oooo snd ahhhs or do they really add benifets to your reef?

A qualit White like the Cree has plenty of Green The cooler Bins of the Cool White have it with less Yellow. The Warm Whites also have Red in them.

CreeCoolNuetralWarm_zps6c881d58.jpg

As far as the import 3 watt LEDs its hard to say what spectrum you will get.

There is a lot of debate using Reds. Some research has shown less growth under Red and other has shown the corals absorb it...How they use it is a topic for a PHD Thesis.

If you have shallow corals I would add some Red especially 660nm. But not too much.

For a medium lit SPS Tank you can skip it as ther is enough in the White and its blocked rather quick by the natural ocean. Corals deeper than 30 feet receive little to none.

If you have a SPS tank simulating a shallow Reef I would add it as long as you have the proper intensity of Blue 400 watt mh equivelant...Remember Corals are not terrestial plants and athough photosysthesis is similar its not the same.

2015-01-12184424_zps0fd68bc0.jpg

Bill

Last edited:

PaulMathis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a lot of debate using Reds. Some research has shown less growth under Red and other has shown the corals absorb it...How they use it is a topic for a PHD Thesis.

Still thinking on a PhD Thesis topic myself. I am being in two minds now.
Checked all 1000+ thesis names on buy thesis site and there are many names repeating.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some proteins need red and green to look good. Dana has posted and has a few articles on this... most blue colors look better with some red.

Study Emerson effect which shows that near and far red help relax the photosystems and allow energy to transfer easier in the coral. There is little doubt that light without IR needs to be kept lower than light that does not have it - for example, I can give 750-1000 PAR from my Metal Halides and corals thrive whereas they burn with LEDs at this intensity... is it all Emerson Effect... no idea, but it is one explanation.

See if you can search for some posts that Lasse has about green. There is some evidence that green makes it's way around and through tissue to provide energy down deeper and underneath. This is a fun read.

Remember that nearly everything that we keep in our tanks are harvested on one breath and nearly all wavelengths from 350 to about 850nm are at these levels. When we watched, most was collected in waist deep water. Is all of this necessary, not likely, but is it helpful... only if you believe that nature is efficient.

If you are not going to use a bunch of red and green, then I would keep the intensity lower - there are plenty of tanks that keep whites lower and do OK. Remember that the light does not have to "look" red and green to have plenty of red and green in it.

Back