ALL LED ALL THE TIME! :) New Forum!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
[ADMIN EDIT]: The LED forum has now been merged with our Aquarium Lighting forum for easier navigation and more visibility for all lighting threads.

What do you think? :D

Thanks to luvmyacans for the led background pic!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
HAHAHAHA! You are.... :D

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks! If any of you know of good LED info we can add I would be happy to sticky it!

wld1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Groovy

LEDs "are like a box of chocolates" you dont know what your going to get...

This would be a great place to post experience with good and bad LEDs and commercial LED fixtures.

Bill

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a small LED build on a red sea max. Bought my kit from LED lights.

I bought the XRE blue's and the XPG whites.

I thought the kit worked really well. I had everything I needed. You just have to be carefull as I used the ELN 60 48 manually dimmable driver. This driver can driver too much current to the XR-E LED's If remember correctly they have a max of current rating of 1000ma and the driver puts out like 1300 mA . Basically you can overdriver the XR-E light and the XPGs can handle up to 1500 so you can run them at full power. All i can say is these suckers were extremely bright. I ended up running the blues around 750 mA and then adjusting the whites until I got the color I liked. It was about 700 mA as well. Only about 50% of the white rated output. Next time I would do 2 blues to 1 white. The xpg white are really intense.

I am currently using 2 reef brite LED strips on my 65g tank and they look great. They do get warm just fyi. But its just off the heatsink on the back of the light. Great color pop. That is the main reason I got them. We will see how they do for output.

I am really liking LED's but I still like having a couple T5's in the mix to fill in some of the colors missing from the LED white blue combo. Like the fiji purple for example. The color is great dont get me wrong. But if you can mix it up you get teh best of both worlds.

Mojo~

GPhiAce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like this idea. Is there anyway to get a good LED DIY thread moved here and stickied? I know there are a few around here somewhere.

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sold on LED's just yet. For as many good things or stories I have heard or read I have heard or read just as many bad. I will be following along on this thread to read about experiences and hope to see a lot of photos.

redhanded

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its worth anything, Ive been using leds on my "sump" (holding station for sps frags) for about 6 months now to compare growth and color against my disply which is all t5s via a ati powermodule. After 6 months, the led tank showed awesome color and decent growth. Id say color was a lil better than the t5s. Growth wise, the t5's was still better, but the experiment wasnt as controlled as I would like it to be.

With those results, I am doing a t5/led combo for my 75g. I already have the heat sink and t5s mounted in a home made fixture, alls I gotta do now is to mount/solder/wire up the leds and drivers.

shelbyc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSC09381.jpg
DSC09236.jpg
DSC09355.jpg
DSC00095.jpg
DSC00099.jpg
Im not sold on LED's just yet. For as many good things or stories I have heard or read I have heard or read just as many bad. I will be following along on this thread to read about experiences and hope to see a lot of photos.

Leds are the new reef lighting. However they are not all created equal. I have the Aqua Illumination sol blue. They are super powerful, energy efficient, run cool, on my system I have no chiller, just a single fan and it only comes on very seldom, and thats only because profilux turns it on if it warms 1/2 a degree otherwise without the fan it would only see a 1 degree temp rise. Sps loves these things, they grow like weeds and are developing some awesome color under them.

DSC09381.jpg

DSC09236.jpg

DSC09355.jpg

DSC00095.jpg

DSC00099.jpg

GR808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSC09381.jpg DSC09236.jpg DSC09355.jpg DSC00095.jpg DSC00099.jpg

Leds are the new reef lighting. However they are not all created equal. I have the Aqua Illumination sol blue. They are super powerful, energy efficient, run cool, on my system I have no chiller, just a single fan and it only comes on very seldom, and thats only because profilux turns it on if it warms 1/2 a degree otherwise without the fan it would only see a 1 degree temp rise. Sps loves these things, they grow like weeds and are developing some awesome color under them.

Now why does your LED grow SPS like weeds and Redhanded has only minimal growth in his sump? Is it the type of LEDs or wattage?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back