My first thunderstorm!!!

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had my AI Sol for just over 2 months. I set the controller for 10% chance of thunderstorms per day. I actually got to see the first one and took a short video of it. Pretty cool i must say, even though it has no real world use

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
HAHA! Just make sure your powerheads don't cause a tornado! :D

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol Im putting up my radions tonight possibly. Kind of nervus to try the lightining storm.. My fish may have a heart attack.. lol

wysiwyg

marine predator man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that was awesome one of the reasons i want to make the switch

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thjs seems to be a very cool feature!

However, I don't want to be the Negative Nancy to your thread, but what is the sole purpose of this feature? To me, personally, this seems to be a waste of money for a feature that has no positive (nor does it have negative) results on the corals/fish/and inverts living within the system. These fixtures would probably be cheaper if they didn't include these type of features that I find (aswell as others Im sure) frivolous. Maybe this is just me.

303travism

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thjs seems to be a very cool feature!

However, I don't want to be the Negative Nancy to your thread, but what is the sole purpose of this feature? To me, personally, this seems to be a waste of money for a feature that has no positive (nor does it have negative) results on the corals/fish/and inverts living within the system. These fixtures would probably be cheaper if they didn't include these type of features that I find (aswell as others Im sure) frivolous. Maybe this is just me.

In my opinion as they do not have a positive nor negative effect they are very cool and I know I've spent a little more money on something just cause I liked it and not cause I needed it!
Side note: I can't get the video to work : (

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion as they do not have a positive nor negative effect they are very cool and I know I've spent a little more money on something just cause I liked it and not cause I needed it!
Side note: I can't get the video to work : (

The way Im viewing it is if there is more knobs and whistles, the more things that go go wrong with it, yes the feature is cool, but if I saw my light doing that, the first thing I would do is unplug the light and check for a short in the wires.

OP
OP
I

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish didn't do anything really. The first couple flashes they darted under rocks, then after that they just resumed normal behavior which is begging me for food lol

The thunderstorm is just programed into the controller board. So there is nothing additional, no buttons no dials or anything like that for it. Its just a setting and you can adjust the probability of the storm from 0-100% chance per day.

M@!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks cool. My Chinese driver is failing and doing a thunderstorm on its own.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dgiglio3087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My radions did scare the fish, so i lower'd the chance of rain down to 10%. Plus it is cool, except for the fact that your neighbors think your having rave at your house lol

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NOOOO

Please stop, cease, desist, quit, halt the Lightning Effect.

IT SERIOUSLY FREAKS OUT THE FISH

Some wrasses especially the expensive ones will be startled and jump out of the tank.

If you want a few carpet surfers continue...

Bill

OP
OP
I

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't effect my wrasse. And you can see in the video I have a top on my tank :)

j.p. harrington

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way Im viewing it is if there is more knobs and whistles, the more things that go go wrong with it, yes the feature is cool, but if I saw my light doing that, the first thing I would do is unplug the light and check for a short in the wires.

i agree the more they program into them the more expensive they do get and yes there is probably a ****** chance for something to go wrong i personally agree with a few others that it doesnt have any positive or negative effects maybe a few negs like scaring the fish but for the most part it is for US the viewer to enjoy a change rather than a steady light every once in awhile.
idk if the AI has it or not but i really enjoy the sunset and sunrise ability that my maxspecs have the 4 i have over my 75 make it for nice viewing when its happening and the fish also seem to enjoy it aswell

BigAl07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running "Lightning & Storms" on my tanks for over 3 years. I have videoed this even for other forums and my fish have never had ANY type of negative reaction to lightning. If the storm goes on for more than a few minutes (my system is random from 5 minutes to 120 minutes) they simply go into their "Night Time" mode and chill out until the storm passes. In addition to the "Random' mode I have a lightning storm every night at 11:30pm which is when I'm just about to go to bed for the night. I sit and watch a "Thunder Storm" almost every single night. Even if I'm not "watching it" I see it because the lightning makes the living room light up because otherwise it's dark. I'm not sure how the Radions handle lightning but GHL has it slowly increase in frequency and intensity (as a storm approaches), then for 1/3 of the cycle it's FULL ON, then start to decrease in frequency and intensity (as storm departs) until everything slow goes back to pre-storm conditions. My tanks have had literally thousands of "Storms" with absolutely no ill effects. No jumpy fish... no jittery fish... no "Jumpers" and I have a wrasse in one of my tanks

You've got to remember that lightning is a very normal part of the reef and because of the HUGE expanse of the ocean lightning isn't a major threat to the wildlife in the seas. Yes it could harm if a bolt strikes close to a fish but the odds are stacked heavily against it. It's not nearly as dramatic as it is above the water and without thunder cracking it's even less dramatic.

My next LED unit has built-in lightning but my current units don't because they are DIY (although I do have a killer Cloud simulation on them) . I use a GHL Simu-L and Simu-Spot for lightning now but when I upgrade to a GHL Mitras it has lightning ability.

That's my 2 cents from someone who has been running "Lightning" for 3 years now and reefing a "tad" longer than that :) Keep in mind that this is merely my opinion and as such your opinion is really the only one that matters... to you. For me and my reefs lightning is COOL, fun, and not something to be afraid of or worry about. YMMV

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back