ATO ideas please!

badger126

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been wanting to do an auto top off on my tank for a while. I think I understand the basics of how they work - I could be wrong. My problem is that my RO-DI reservoir is 20 ft away and through a wall. What I would like to do is figure out how to set up an ATO that could work by pumping water from that reservoir to the tank without adding any extra water jugs etc close to the tank.

Does someone have a moment to give me some ideas on how to make this work or tell me why it won't? I'm fine looking at any ATO kits or DIY solutions, I'm just sick of carrying pitchers of water every day.

dakotasreef

Prestige Worldwide
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be done. You would need an electric solenoid for the plumbing and a switch setup at the tank. When the water level in your sump gets low, it would trip the switch. Then the solenoid would open a valve on your water supply line which would allow water to flow into the ro/di unit. Now you would have to run wiring from the tank to the solenoid. My only concern with this is that if there was some type of failure you could easily over fill your tank.

If it was me personally I would just put a resivoir near the tank and fill that once a week. If you are concerned about the look, build an enclosure for it.

milkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water should gravity feed 20ft without a pump as long as the sump is lower than the reservoir. My 18 gal rubbermaid top off tank is about 6 ft away and feeds a Level Loc ATO, no problem. Keeping it simple is always better.

killingseed2000

hobo of time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i fill a rubbermaid container in my garage and have a 20ft hose and fill my reservoir that sits next to my tank.

sanddune600

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my ro is far from the tank as well I ran a water line into the attic and down to the tank through the walls I did this by running a wire up through where a outlet plug was to the attic and back down to where the ro is I built some dual float ato's for a project that I will never get to I would sell one for $35 plus shipping you would need a pump or solenoid to complete it pm me if wanted

Rakahrd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use a hang on refugium/tank and run a line down to a float valve in the sump. that way you only need fill the resivoir once or twice a week depending/
I find with my 55 and double 10 gal sump setup i'm loosing between 1/2 and 3/4 gal in 24 hours.

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For float switch top offs and parts autotopoff.com is great. I just ordered the avast ato that uses a pressure sensor.

I would not connect the top off directly to your rodi water line. I've heard stories of people flooding their houses. Get a separate ato resevoir. If it's further away just use a bigger pump.

dinwiddie90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a peristalic pump and mount it under your stand with a float switch in your tank/sump and just route the small 1/4 line to your reservoir. I use a bulk reef 50ml/min pump for mine

Medic755

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a controller for your tank? If you do you could easily put in so many fail safes that it would be nearly impossible to flood your house. Here would be my best plan.

RODI unit feeds into an ATO container by your tank. RODI has solenoid to control flow. In ATO container also has a float valve with the standard auto off pieces for the RODI as well as back-up. In ATO container would be two float switches. One low to open the solenoid and a high one to close it. For practicality of the RODI unit though you would also need to add an auto-flush kit so you don't blow through resin. Then the ATO would be controlled like any standard ATO. As a final fail-safe for the refilling of the ATO container put a leak detector in the line that has a moisture absorbent pad that expands if wet which closes off the line. BRS has them, can't think of their specific name though.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back