SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...
I have an iMac and an iPhone.
My girl friend is all about windows but owns an iPad.

I just bought her the windows surface to trade her for her iPad to make both of our lives more compatible (digitally speaking).

Here's where it gets weird.
I am trying to figure out how to get all pictures from it. Including camera roll and photo stream but she is "sure" the "only" way to get them will delete them all? Anyways.
Question 1:
If photos are viewable from the iPad via photostream on the iPhone, what happens to the photo stream when I factory reset the iPad?

Question 2:
On a windows 8 computer, what is the easiest way to get the photo stream onto the computer to be transferred into an external hard drive for storage and out of the clutches of apple?

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I read that right it says the photos that are already on the photostream before I install iCloud will not sync, only photos taken after iCloud setup? Or do you suppose that was referring to the photo stream setup through the iPad? Ugh. If only there was a nearby apple store I could just ask to do this for me lol.
iCloud control panel is taking a long minute to download lol.

Fatmike92

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was always able to just download the photos straight from the ipad. whenever I plugged it in it gave me the option to save them all. I would guess they need to be in the camera roll and not the stream. But I am terrible at helping with this stuff. good luck!

How does she like the surface? she sounds like me I am an all microsoft guy (except my phone) so I have been thinking about getting a surface

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem was like you said, the photo stream.

We got so frustrated out of this that we gave up! I began to begin another task when it occurred to me....
I opened the photo stream on the iPad.
Clicked "Select"
Tapped all (582) pictures
Clicked "share"
Clicked "save to camera roll" and watched them load for a while...a long while...lol
From there we easily uploaded every picture and video file to the computer.

The Surface:
She has a touch screen dell with windows 8, and the surface is pretty much exactly that without the disk drive and keyboard.

She LOVES it! The only reason I bought it for her was because her trial version of office expired on the laptop and she has a paper due Tuesday in combination with me wanting an iPad. We killed 2 damsels with one stonefish and now I am finally in the iPad club at the YMCA (NOT!) and she is mostly all windows with the exception of the phone.

Best buy sold me a leftover from Black Friday for $200 and the cheapest local used iPad was 200 for half the gigs.

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a fan if windows but windows 8 is a nightmare! I suppose that's an entirely different issue..

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Windows everything is a nightmare. Once I went Mac I quickly learned what common sense looked like on a screen. It isn't for everyone but it was built for what I love doing. Windows 8 was very odd as far as the OS design is. It is like a big cell phone. Lol. I don't game or anything. Angry birds burnt me out after I beat all of them so I pretty much use nothing but productivity type of apps. You know....what they were intended for lol

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That only worked for stuff that was in the camera roll and not on the stream. We got it though. All my stuff is apple. She was not prepared for this type of event lol. 3 years and it never touched a computer but like one time lol

ShippD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you fingered it out cool..I only use windows 8.1 for a couple of cad programs otherwise i use Ubuntu but this week i will load them on wine inside Ubuntu so will be out of windows completely.

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you fingered it out cool..I only use windows 8.1 for a couple of cad programs otherwise i use Ubuntu but this week i will load them on wine inside Ubuntu so will be out of windows completely.

I thought this was an English speaking forum? Lol, just kidding. I'm aware of Ubuntu and I have had my share of wine ;)

I tell ya one thing...I'm not computer savvy when it comes to cross contamination of apples out the window but since I got this iPad in my clutches I have had such a breeze transferrin all my notes and files between devices. I'm now a productive maniac. I wrote 5000 words since 10:30 last night (including coffee pee breaks that last 12 days).

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I love this thing. i have literally been using my phone for everything and now I can see! Squinting sucked lol

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back