where do these crazy names for coral come from?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump for a fun conversation. :) I have a few names I want to use...just haven't found the right corals yet. :tongue:

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump for a fun conversation. :) I have a few names I want to use...just haven't found the right corals yet. :tongue:

HAHAHA, be on the look out!
Let me put a good word in to T and maybe he'll let you name a few.

OP
OP
760mason

760mason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So no ones knows? Is it named by the person that found it? They all have a very scientific name but who is the guy that called a zoa a jedi mind trick? Or is it just something that is just accepted. Some of the names are just crazy nerdy. I was just wondering is there a group of reef nerds that come up with the names. They all seem to be accepted as what the coral is. Just a dumb question but someone should have the answer out their.

SantaMonicaHelp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It also seems like certain keywords used in the name of some corals, like "ultra", "psycho" etc. will automatically bump the price by a good $50USD at least.
But yes, bump, somebody explain this name generation process!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I confess... I make up the names...and then I send out a list to the vendors... :tongue:

I'm pretty sure that vendors make them up for the corals they get from their wholesalers.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember the D-Day............. I do and there were a few more.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Keithcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I named the electric Oompa Loompa what I did because when I found them I hadn't seen anything like them before and I wanted to submit them to coralpedia. They are the same color as the Oompa Loompas in charley and the chocolate factory and I thought it would be funny to hear people say they wanted or had Oompa Loompas and I still get a kick out of it to this day. The electric part was because of how bright they are but also because the zoa names were in alphabetical order and I wanted it to be closer to the front of the list. That was the first coral I named and I haven't really named many since then.

OP
OP
760mason

760mason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I named the electric Oompa Loompa what I did because when I found them I hadn't seen anything like them before and I wanted to submit them to coralpedia. They are the same color as the Oompa Loompas in charley and the chocolate factory and I thought it would be funny to hear people say they wanted or had Oompa Loompas and I still get a kick out of it to this day. The electric part was because of how bright they are but also because the zoa names were in alphabetical order and I wanted it to be closer to the front of the list. That was the first coral I named and I haven't really named many since then.
so there is a coralpedia?hahaha

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back