I got stopped by the Coast Guard

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was out in my boat with a younger cousin going to a seafood restaurant in the Bronx that specializes in my favorite food. Clams on the half shell. And they sell them for $6.00 a dozen which is a third what my marina charges for them.
So I get half way there and like most days, my boat is the only boat out. I really don't know why many people have boats as most of those boats never leave the marina.
Anyway off in the distance I see a Coast Guard boat. He turns on his lights and siren and comes after me. So I grab my Viet Nam Veteran hat that I keep there just for this purpose as I feel it will give me an edge on what ever I did wrong.
They pull up to me and say, "Can we board your vessel?"
I say, " You got a machine gun and I got a can of insect repellent, I think you can board my vessel". So as the first one comes aboard he asks if I have any weapons. I say, "Weapons? like cruise missles? He says, "no, like guns".
I say, " I am going out for clams but they are already dead so I don't need any guns". So I ask, whats the problem? He says "safety inspection". OK, I say I was just inspected as the sticker on my window shows. He says, we want to inspect you anyway.
This is what happens when you are the only boat out there. But they are doing their job and they were very nice guys. I think my Veteran hat had a lot to do with it. So they want to see the horn work, and count the life jackets, open the engine compartment to see the flame surpressors were on. They checked the anchor and looked for the throwable device. Read the date on the fire extinguishers. I got everything. So they thank me and start to leave. I say, wait you didn't check my flares. They said they don't have to check those. I say, but I spent a lot of money on the flares and I have like 16 of them. They don't need to see them. I took them out anyway just because I got them. They didn't care and just wished I have a good day and to enjoy the clams.

I sometimes get stopped by the police but only if I have a few beautiful young girls on the boat. The 3 times I got stopped by the police was when my Daughter and her friends were on the boat. They never just want to inspect a bald guy and there are not that many Supermodel marine police officers that I have ever noticed.
But I am glad these people are out there protecting the water.
The clams were great.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got stopped by a State Trooper not that long ago, wasn't In the boat though.
Let me repeat the conversation what took place.

police Off: ID and proof of insurance please?
Me: Of course Officer.
Police Off: looks all OK, but can I ask you what you have in your passenger seat?
Me: everyday defending tools.
Police Off: So where you going with those tools?
Me: Shooting range Sir.
Police Off: ok no problem but cover them up next time.
Me: I will, Sir. Thanks.
Police Off: Oh one more thing.........get that tail light fixed, will ya.
Me: No problem, will do. PFFFFFFFFF.

Attachments

• lock and load.jpg
    lock and load.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 103

c_healy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol diesel and Paul..

Last time we were stopped about 30 miles out in a 16' hewes redfisher they didnt even ask to see any safety devices. Actually, come to think of it they didnt even ask if we had any.

Didnt check the catch, just asked if everything was legal and hauled *** to get back in their boat.

Guess he didnt feel comfortable that far out in a little flats boat. Hah

powdermonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny stories!
Paul how often does your daughter tell you your embarrassing her...lol
After years of reading your post somehow I get that felling.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diesel, here in NY if I had any hint of a gun of any kind they would have aimed their machine gun at my head because you can't have a gun here exposed for anything. And unless you have a permit, and are going hunting, you can't have a concelled gun for any reason. It carries a mandatory 2 year prison sentence. You have absolutely no reason to have a gun on a boat because you are not allowed to hunt sharks or whales and it would be silly to shoot jellyfish. So to defend ourself from the criminals, who do have guns (and maybe even hunt jellyfish) we have to use harsh language on them. The last time I was in Texas I drove an M 60 tank. No one stopped me.
Powdermonkey. I don't know if my Daughter reads any of my writings. She is a Wrighter herself and a very good one. She sometimes edit's my articles but she doesn't often come on fish threads as she has no interest in fish except to eat them.

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 57 79.2%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back