Adding salt

restep19807

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have all my equipment set up and running. Could I add the salt now and in a week or two I'll have my (macro) rock and sand. Will it be ok to let the tank run with just saltwater in it?

ReeferRookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should actually mix salt outside of your tank for the future for now just starting yes add your salt and let it run with just saltwater if.u want. Now remember patience is key. Its also best to run with live rock if u can it helps.speed the process maybe throw a raw thawed shrimp from ur local market in there as well. Patience patience remeber that word

Also dont cheap out of your salt ! Lots of salt use different trace elements that are benificial to your tank. I use reef crystals i only have solfties and dont require much

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can mix your salt with your water in the tank....I would keep the water moving with a powerhead and keep it at temperature as well........I wouldn't run a skimmer or anything at this point......

OP
OP
R

restep19807

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have two power head running and my heater and it's running through my sump. My skimmer still needs the pump so it's not running. Plus I won't start that up till I have a bio load. I think it would be pointless lol to skim nothing lol

ReeferRookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its also harm ur fish and coral. From now on mix in a bucket and dont make my mistake. When topping.off. use fresh water

OP
OP
R

restep19807

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have salt in my tank it's just freshwater right now. I just wanted to make sure it would be ok to add the salt 2 to 3 weeks before I add ls and lr

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 78 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 30 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back