Does anyone use their ro/di unit to make drinking water?

Reef Junky150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious if anyone else makes there own water like I do with their ro unit. I usually make a couple gallons at a time throw in the fridge for later consumption. Our water is very chlorinated in the summer months especially so instead of bottled water I put it to use, of course I have it coming out before the di stage in case anyone was thinking I'm crazy.

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought you were crazy until I read you last sentence. Lol. I used to but now we just get Kentwood water delivery.

DRThompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do, actually hooked up a second unit under my kitchen sink and plumbed the line to my refrig. Best water I've ever had.

No more bottled water!!!

PapaDragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious if anyone else makes there own water like I do with their ro unit. I usually make a couple gallons at a time throw in the fridge for later consumption. Our water is very chlorinated in the summer months especially so instead of bottled water I put it to use, of course I have it coming out before the di stage in case anyone was thinking I'm crazy.

Why shouldn't you drink it if it goes through the di?

OP
OP
Reef Junky150

Reef Junky150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought you were crazy until I read you last sentence. Lol. I used to but now we just get Kentwood water delivery.
Yes, my ro/di came with auto shut off backflush and pre plumbed line before the di.

MadCityReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to rent a water cooler and purchase water from collagen water but I was like why am I wasting money when I can purchased my own water cooler and make my own water. I suggest a water cooler with hot and cold water dispense. Works great for a quick cup of hot chocolate, tea, coffee or if I want to make some ramen noodle soup because you spent too much on fish and corals that month. I don't recommend drinking the DI water. They say you shouldn't because its to pure and just doesn't taste as good.

OP
OP
Reef Junky150

Reef Junky150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And local stores sell those water cooler heaters dispensers fairly reasonably. Good idea. Although my fridge and microwave work and my kitchen is packed so maybe not :(

nazzman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a tee off the line from ro filter 2 ball valves 1 going to 5gl tank for drinking water 1 going through dual stage DI unit to another 5gl storage tank for top off

OP
OP
Reef Junky150

Reef Junky150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to rent a water cooler and purchase water from collagen water but I was like why am I wasting money when I can purchased my own water cooler and make my own water. I suggest a water cooler with hot and cold water dispense. Works great for a quick cup of hot chocolate, tea, coffee or if I want to make some ramen noodle soup because you spent too much on fish and corals that month. I don't recommend drinking the DI water. They say you shouldn't because its to pure and just doesn't taste as good.
Top ramen, my body rejects that in worse ways than taco hell. To much sodium or something

badfinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drink the di water I think it tastes great. I have read people just dont like the taste cause of no minerals in it (read bottled water). But I usually drink it daily. And if it's bad, it can't be the worst thing I put in my body daily

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really should google the adverse effects of drinking RO/DI water. It is said the it is NOT good for you. As it absorbs minerals. It is actually used on chemo patients to help absorb the the toxin. This is what I've read as I often wondered about this myself :)
http://puretecwater.com/safe-to-drink-deionized-water.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reef Junky150

Reef Junky150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read many things about it not being good for you, the reason I only use the ro water not ro/di for drinking

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why shouldn't you drink it if it goes through the di?

Yes DI water is fairly close to being 100%pure H2O. Water that we drink is actually not pure at all. It contains Na, Cl, and many other ions in small quantities. Drinking pure h2o would cause hyponatremia, hypokalemia, and if severe enough could easily kill you. Our bodies blood cells are actually bathed in a saline solution. If you suddenly thrust them into a freshwater environment there could obviously be problems. The hypokalemia would cause you to go into an arrhythmia. The hyponatremia could cause a comma or seizures.

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And thats assuming you drink a lot of it. A glass of it wont kill you.

coralsavers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you will die if you only drink rodi water but that means you are not eating also to get salts in your body. You would have to be trapped with only that water and no food. Also drinking a ton of tap water will cause the same things to happen to you

will21xl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drinking rodi water isn't that bad.. it just doesn't have the same minerals as regular drinking water.. also rodi water should not be used if you are dehydrated! But using it as a base like for coffee or tea or cup a noodles is perfectly fine.. you are getting your nutrient from other sources like coffee and tea.. and if you really want to be safe and make sure it's really clean ( besides using a tds meter) just make the first few gallons for your tank and the rest should just be fine

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back