Going to Marathon Florida, any tips for things to do in the Middle Keys?

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know of any good dive or snorkel sites, LFS, restaurants, things to do, etc. that I can find down there?

I've never been to the keys so I figured I'd ask around.

Chetrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're known for their key lime pie. Snorkeling anywhere in the keys is awesome. Duval St. in Key west is the party seen area. Mallory Square is where the love birds go to watch the sun set. Your in for a treat either way.

gregoryleonard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just went there this summer for the second year. Visit Marker 88 restaurant for outdoor dining and great sunsets, In Islamorada visit Robbies if you want to fish for Tarpon or any other deep sea fishing expeditions. several dive sites and snorkel trips (John Pennecamp state park has a good snorkel trip to their protected reef) also look up Fury catamaran sunset snorkel tour in Key West, you get to snorkel for a few hours then enjoy the sunset on the way back to Key west. That was one of our family favorites, we saw 2 sea turtles, a lemon shark, Barracudas and many other great reef fauna.
Enjoy!

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spend my late teen years on Big Pine Key in the early 70's, the next key down from Marathon. Diving is plentiful and right off any beach. We use to stay at Buena VIsta Motel....don't even know if it's still there. We use to take a boat out the motel to catch lobster under coral heads. Believe it or not, got sick of eating lobster....cooked it every way possible. This was back when corals grew everywhere, sea urchins covered the bottom, and grouper and jew fish were plentiful for spear fishing. My understanding is that all of this has dissapeared. You'll enjoy your stay down there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KoleTang

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're known for their key lime pie.

I can't believe I forgot about something so obvious. :p

In Islamorada visit Robbies if you want to fish for Tarpon or any other deep sea fishing expeditions.

Fury catamaran sunset snorkel tour in Key West, you get to snorkel for a few hours then enjoy the sunset on the way back to Key west. That was one of our family favorites, we saw 2 sea turtles, a lemon shark, Barracudas and many other great reef fauna.
Enjoy!

Exactly the kind of thing I was looking for, thanks for the tips.

I spend my late teen years on Big Pine Key in the early 70's, the next key down from Marathon. Diving is plentiful and right off any beach. We use to stay at Buena VIsta Motel....don't even know if it's still there. We use to take a boat out the motel to catch lobster under coral heads. Believe it or not, got sick of eating lobster....cooked it every way possible. This was back when corals grew everywhere, sea urchins covered the bottom, and grouper and jew fish were plentiful for spear fishing. My understanding is that all of this has dissapeared. You'll enjoy your stay down there.

That's too bad. What is the reason for the degradation?

I'm assuming you need a permit for lobster, correct?

indyjaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bahia Honda State Park is pretty cool.

Watch the winds, a lot of snorkel boats won't go out in it. We were in the keys this time last year and the winds ruined our chances to snorkel the reef. A Jet Ski tour of Key West is pretty fun too.

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your in Marathon hit up Spirit Snorkeling. It's right next to a pretty good BQ place right before the 7 mile bridge on the right. Look for stacks of lobster traps on your right side. They will take you out on a catamaran to Sombrero Reef, It's definitely breath taking if you get a good day with good visibility, which is just about every day if you don't have big swells kicking up sand. Very reasonable fee and you snorkel for ever it seems like.

Also just about any where on the keys is available to snorkel. Some of the coolest fish I've seen is just stopping off on the shoulder of the road and getting out into the water with mask and snorkel. If you can find some rock structure in the water anywhere will be your best bet to see fish holding. Also try snorkeling parallel with the mangroves. Lots of snapper! And don't be shocked if you creep up to a 4ft barracuda in 3ft of water just hanging out. Most likely he'll know your there way.....before you spot him. I always told my wife if we were homeless you would never go hungry down here! Have fun!!

I forgot. Sombrero Beach. Not a spot to find coral but to swim around some really awesome rock formations and to spot plenty of fish for free this is the place to go. Try to get there before the swimmers get there because they tend to stir up the water a little bit. And on another note. If you do stop by John Pennekamp State Park you should snorkel under the bridge right there next to where they out the kayaks in. Very good visibility there and its away from the crowds stirring up the beach. Some really beautiful sponges under the bridge. Lots of macro algae and schools of snapper, parrots, grunts maybe an angel or two and who else knows whats you'll see.

Last edited:

nivram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My family loves to eat breakfast at the Stuffed Pig.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's too bad. What is the reason for the degradation?

I'm assuming you need a permit for lobster, correct?

I believe it was a combination of things that wiped out much of the coral in the late 70's.....

Urchins came down with some disease that killed the majority of them. With the urchins gone, algae goes nuts....and maybe with polution....and maybe temperature changes....the coral died.

Another thought....Ken Nedimyer runs the Coral Restoration Foundation out of Key Largo. If you're a diver, they are always looking for volunteers to help with their projects. He discovered a really productive way to farm corals, allowing them to grow quickly, and then use these frags to re-seed the reefs. Check out his website HERE.

As far a lobster and permits....in the early 70's there was no permit for sport's divers, but there was a boat limit. I can't remember what it was, but it was pretty high...maybe 24 lobsters per boat.

nivram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are divers. Definitely check out CRF. It's a great organization. Can't believe I didn't think of them. They are located in Key Largo.

If you plan to do any fishing or lobstering on your own. You will need a fishing license. Lobstering requires fishing license and a crawfish stamp. If you are fishing off a commercial boat, in most cases no fishing license required if they have one for the boat.

mrBananas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on your budget. If you can rent a boat, check out captain hooks marina. Boat Rentals from Captain Hook’s Marina & Dive Center in the Florida Keys Then head out to Sombrero reef. It's beautiful to dive. There are a few other dive spots you can do a Google search for the GPS coords for wreck sites. Also, you can rent kayaks and drop into the mangroves on Sombrero beach. You can follow the channel through the mangroves which can be fun. Outside of boating, there's not a whole lot to do in Marathon. If you take the 50 minute drive down to Key West, there's lost of sight seeing and Mallory Square is great at sunset. If everyone is of age, Duval St. has a fun bar scene. Heading the other direction towards the mainland, you can take a trip to Islamorada which has some great restaurants. On the way you'll pass Hawks Cay which has a really nice resort with pool area, bar, and man-made salt lagoon. Back in Marathon, if you're looking for the best tuna melt, check out Burdines. Hands down best place to fuel up and grub before heading out to a dive.

cultivatedcoral

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta go to Lazy Days in Islamorada to eat. Get anything Lazy Days "style". Hog snapper, lionfish and even the chicken are excellent Lazy Days Style. Got,to Lorelei in Islamorada for sunsets. Morada Bay for dinner is a little more expensive. Hit The World Wide Sportsman/Bass Pro for shopping for fishing gear, clothes, etc.

Harriettes at MM 93 going south for Breakfast near Key Largo. Also Mangrove Mike's for breakfast a little north of islamorada. Lots of history there.

Snorkeling south of Marathon is Looe Key.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 36 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back