Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like 95% of the time when I run into a fellow Reefer its a guy and I was just wondering out of curiosity what the ratio of guys:girls was in the hobby(R2R is going to act as a sample population).

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pink ******* is my all time favorite chalice but I tend to stay away from zoa like gorilla nipples

not sure why you would think these names would detour women from the hobby?

I honestly think there are more men in the hobby because women think emotionally-they cant cuddle a fish... men, think logically-that fish works well with that nem...

my wife dosnt want anything to do with taking care of my tanks but if I bring something new home she it the first to say awww, so cute, its name is....

Last edited:

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my wife dosnt want anything to do with taking care of my tanks but if I bring something new home she it the first to say awww, so cute, its name is....

Ugh, All.The.Time. I shake my head at her. She says that if I want her interested I have to allow them to be named. Apparently Pygmy Angelfish, conch, sea cucumber, red legged reef hermit, etc. are too much for her to remember.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ugh, All.The.Time. I shake my head at her. She says that if I want her interested I have to allow them to be named. Apparently Pygmy Angelfish, conch, sea cucumber, red legged reef hermit, etc. are too much for her to remember.

LOL I'm pretty sure my daughter is going to be a reefer (or at least a support reefer). I also think she'll be the one naming my fish and inverts.

Vaughn17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pink ******* is my all time favorite chalice but I tend to stay away from zoa like gorilla nipples

not sure why you would think these names would detour women from the hobby?

I honestly think there are more men in the hobby because women think emotionally-they cant cuddle a fish... men, think logically-that fish works well with that nem...

I don't think that. I was making a joke, while simultaneously pointing out that those names do feel a little degrading because they are one-sided..

Last edited by a moderator:

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I agree so your right there with me in thinking it is degrading that women have to ware a top at the beach, mowing the lawn.... It's one sided that we can take our shirt off when we get hot and women can't ;)

Last edited:

Vaughn17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now you're the one joking, lol. I'm just saying, if the industry is going to give corals goofy sexist names, do it for both sexes, not just women. However, personally, I'm more interested in genus and species.

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets just keep this on topic, was just wondering what the break down was.

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I feel the pain... All the fish have names... I put a stop to the clownfish being called "Nemo":frusty: It's official name is "Not Nemo" and I correct any dang person that comes into the house and calls it Nemo...

Lets just keep this on topic, was just wondering what the break down was.
I'm male, and I look like my picture/avatar :)

Last edited:

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weighing in for the women... I don't name my fish and actually I prefer the corals. My husband is the one that refers to my blue tang as doree... I don't take offense to the names of the corals I just care how they look... :fish:

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So its looking like there is a 5:1 ratio of guys to girls

calvo15290

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's because of all the dirty stuff like salt creep and skimmer cups. My girlfriend will not open my stand or touch the water. I cold be hiding 25,000$ and she won't touch it lol

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's because of all the dirty stuff like salt creep and skimmer cups. My girlfriend will not open my stand or touch the water. I cold be hiding 25,000$ and she won't touch it lol

*shrugs* I got over the skimmer cup pretty quick. It needs to get done and I appreciate all the literal crap the skimmer takes out.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 55.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back