How old are you?

How old are you in human years (just in case lol) ?

• 5-9 years old

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10-19 years old

Votes: 30 5.8%
  • 20-29 years old

Votes: 126 24.6%
  • 30-39 years old

Votes: 151 29.4%
  • 40-49 years old

Votes: 114 22.2%
  • 50-59 years old

Votes: 65 12.7%
  • 60-69 years old

Votes: 22 4.3%
  • 70-79 years old

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • 80+ (Young with a lot of experience) ;)

• Total voters

boirokk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
38, I got my first fresh water tank at 10 and have had a tank ever since. Switched to salt water only at 24 and made the switch to reef at 30.

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am 24. I've been around the aquarium hobby my whole life. I got my first freshwater tank when I was 13 and got my first saltwater tank when I was 18. Been in the hobby for awhile now. I don't think I'll ever quit.

rininger85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
currently 29, only a few months from 30 though... my mom had a freshwater tank when I was growing up, but I never really did much to help her, then once I was out on my own in my first house I bought a 10 gal tank and put some fish in it and they mostly all died, so I put more in it and they all but one died, so I gave up not knowing what I was doing, went quite a few years without tanks then bought another 10 gal and stocked it (about 3 years back now) with minnows from the river next to my house. Again they all slowly died.. so I left the tank empty for a few months then one day my dad was visiting and commented about me paying for electricity to run an empty fish tank so I went and bought some guppies and tossed in it and they all survived and multiplied like crazy so I upgraded to a 55 gal for them then started reading about saltwater tanks and that is when I finally learned about cycling a tank. Started a 10 gal saltwater tank about 2 years ago and ran the 55/10 side by side until two week long power outages (one in november, one in december) last winter killed everything in my saltwater tank so then I upgraded to two 40B's (one fresh, one salt), ran those side by side until we were about to buy a house then I broke down the fresh tank and only have the 40B salty tank running now. I still have a 10 gal planted freshwater tank running on my desk at work, but I'm getting ready to take it home / break it down and bring a 20 gallon saltwater tank in to work instead. I'm also in the process of building a 240 gallon in wall tank. The tank is there, the walls are back up, need to paint the wall and then I'll start building my sump / running plumbing. I've started a build thread on here so go check it out and follow along!

Bowen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
22 and just started up my first tank in... May? May or June of this year. I've had freshwater on and off since I was in single digits, and also keep furballs.

Solwolf45

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just turned 20 in october. No reef tanks yet, but the project will begin soon! I have some plans ready. But otherwise ive been doing freshwater for the last year and when i was younger i had one or two freshwater tanks.

TankedNTn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
41 Years old. Been into saltwater for just over two years now. I've had freshwater tanks off and on for 20 years now. I always wanted to set up a saltwater tank but never had the funds to get one stated until I got older. I don't see going back though. I always like staring at my freshwater tanks but there is just something majestic about a Reef Tank.

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
47, started my first tank when I was 15 which was a 10 gallon with under gravel filter powered by a whisper air pump and dual air stones. Upgraded to a power head when I was 19. Now have 2 mixed reefs, 120 and 75 with apex controllers, LEDs, chillers, cal reactors, etc.... Maintenance used to be gravel vac while changing water and new air stones. Now it's a bit more than that, but just as fun - maybe more.

Hellsinki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My father started a small fresh water tank when I was maybe 7 or 8 years old, which is where it all began. I started my own freshwater tank in my early teens and gradually evolved into a 100 gallon freshwater by age 16. Started my first salt water tank when I was around 17 or 18 if I recall.. just a 10 gallon with an anemone and clown with some random fluorescent light. That was not very successful, so I went back to fresh. Then I turned my 100 gallon into saltwater and tried some various corals at around age 20-21 utilizing actinic and VHO tubes with very mild success. At age 23ish I ordered a custom 80 gallon cube that I ran for about 6-7 years. I had a Coralife 150watt MH pendant on it and had moderate success with various corals. My Maroon clown lived to be 7 years old. At age 29 I shut the cube down and moved to another house and never set it back up...skip forward 15 years.. At age 44, I'm now just over 40 days into my new tank and I feel like time has just gone by so fast. The internet is such a powerful tool for advancing the reef hobby. I've learned more in the last few months on the internet forums that I learned in years of experimentation in the early days. I hope to enjoy the hobby for a long time.

Skeptical Whale

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 18; I had freshwater tanks since I was about 7 or 8 years old and had my first FOWLR tank in the 7th grade. I was 16 when I got into reefing.

SnakeBlitz33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you attend MACNA, most of the people that go are in their 20s, 30s, and 40s. I'm almost 30 now and I've had tanks since I was 9. I got started in saltwater in 2005, so that's 10 years now- off and on. I get depressed when I don't have a tank. I can't not have one. It's something to do. It's something to research and help others. I love marine biology and so it gives me an opportunity to experiment without the cost of going back to college for a marine biology degree, which I once considered.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Back