Animal tracks in the snow

DFW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen all kinds of animals in my neighborhood through the years, but when I saw these tracks in the snow in my front yard this morning, I did not know what they were. What kind of creature puts one foot straight in front of the other so that all the tracks are in a straight line? Because of this rare snow event, I found out that a fox came through last night by looking at this track guide. I have seen 5, or 6 red foxes, and one gray during the 22 years that we have been here, but it is still fun for me to see the tracks, and know that they are here in the city!

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wildlifema ... tracks.pdf

Attachments

• fox tracks 3 1 15.JPG
    fox tracks 3 1 15.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foxes in urban areas, you have no idea. I used to be a professional trapper. In the early 90's I was involved in trying to get a couple trapping laws changed. One of them involved trapping of foxes. In one of the commissioner's meetings I was talking about foxes becoming overpopulated and how foxes, because they travel miles each day, would spread disease. I also said that there are foxes in the city and most everyone has foxes go through their yards. One of the commissioners who had deer dogs challenged me. Well, we ended up in a bet that I couldn't catch on fox on his property. After checking out his property I set a trap right behind his dog pen. Early the next morning there was a fox in the trap and the dogs were cowering in a corner. It seems the fox was eating their food. This was in North Carolina, but I have also trapped a thousand foxes or so in Virginia. Before I get a lot of hate mail I'd like to state that I never over trapped an area and I was a wildlife biologist at the time.

OP
OP
DFW

DFW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A neighbor of mine has trapped a few foxes, and when animal control comes to get them, they euthanize them on the spot before even loading them on their truck. I do not like this! They do the same with racoons, but they take possums, and turn them loose in a city park.

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Opossums and raccoons rarely travel more than a mile from where they were born, (some less than a quarter mile) except during mating season a male raccoon may travel up to four miles in search for a mate. Raccoons have adapted extremely well to urban life. Raccoons are the number one animals to contract rabies from, especially in the east. On the other hand, foxes routinely travel over ten miles each night and one than is a disease carrier can spread it at an alarming rate.

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another interesting fact about raccoons is that when they are overpopulated they will have all male babies. Then in four or five years you'll have an all male population. Then an eventual die off of all the raccoons from an area.

OP
OP
DFW

DFW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do these animals have any commercial value? I can get coons, and possums, and some fox right here in my yard.

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll probably have to wait until next year. I'm sure most states furbearing seasons are over. This is breeding season for them now.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A cat maybe? How big are the tracks?
Another little know raccoon fact. If one puts on an old time burglars eye mask, you would barely see it :)

OP
OP
DFW

DFW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you click on the link above you will see that squirrel, and cat tracks don't match up with these.

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the only animal in your neighborhood that walks in a straight line is a fox. To further distinguish what type of fox: A red fox's paw print looks like a dog and a gray fox paw print looks like a cat.
A gray fox is not considered a "true fox" and is from the genus Urocyon. The true foxes, like the red fox, is genus Vulpes.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back