Oh No, My snow blower died

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh No, my snow blower croaked and I can't fix it. AAAHHHHHH. The machine is about 38 years old and I used to use it commercially so it has an enormous amount of tough hours on it. I was using it yesterday on our foot of snow, on top of our other foot of snow and I heard this crack. The thing usually breaks at least once a season which is normal for such an old machine but it has always been a belt, gear pin, wheel, chain, bearing or something that I could fix in an hour and get it running again. So after the hearing this crack, I removed the bottom steel plate and a gear fell out. That is not usualy a good sign but not to unusual. Upon further examination I found the problem. Two days ago I was going through very wet slush with it and then I put it away. During the night the temp went to about 12 degrees and the slush built up inside the gear box inside the machine where the drive mechanism is for the wheels are. The slush turned into a big solid block of ice and got between the drive chain and the gear, breaking the steel gear off the shaft right where it comes through the bearing. There isn't enough shaft left to weld and the shaft is a two diameter steel rod with the gear intrically built with the shaft in one piece. To fix it, I would have to demolish the machine which is American made and made extreamly well. Then I would have to have this part machined which would cost more than the entire machine. For a 38+ year old snow blower, it just doesn't make sense to fix it. I was up all night because I hate to buy a new machine. I have been looking but I doubt I can find an American one and what I see out there is junk which will last a few years at best. None of them seem to be built out of good materials that will last for years. Plastic or aluminum gears on a cheap housing is not what I am looking for but I guess I will settle for the best I can find. I see a Troy Built that looks decent (but still a step above garbage) Of course they are all out of stock but I hope to not need it until next year anyway.

zoous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do it the old fashion way. The snow shovel is great way to remove snow and get some good exercise as well.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finished it the old fashioned way. Remember I am 66 years old and worked construction all my life, these old bones aren't what they used to be. But I can still do it.

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got hammered again yesterday. Hopefully the big snows are over for this year. If you divide 12 by 4 (spring, summer, fall, and winter) the answer should be 3. We've had 4 1/2 months of pure winter this year.

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha lamo - got any kids? Make them do it. I come from a family of 9. Always hated doing dish's and would say "mom - why cant we get a dishwasher?" her response "why would I get a new dishwasher when I have 7 perfectly fine dishwashers already" lol geesh. Same went for the snow - we never did get a snowblower or dishwasher and being from montana there was a lot of snow.......and 9 months of winter - the math doesn't add up there either.lol

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have made a few gears for friends snow blowers using the machine I run
at work, (wire edm) but it seems like you need more then just a simple gear.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I need a shaft of two
diameters with a
gear
built
In. I don't know anything about Montana, but here we have sidewalks and they have to be shoveled or you get a fine. I don't have a large property but I still have 140' to shovel and 3 driveways. I also do 5 of my neighbors because they are older than me believe it or not.

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How inconsiderate of them back in the 70's to make such hard to replace part. Didn't even last 40 years!
You could probably piece together a couple different shafts and key some gears, but your right it would cost as much as a new machine. For the record I have had a Troy Bilt for the last 6 years, and if has gotten me through the past few horrendous winters without a hitch. (Except when I used old gas in a pinch and froze up the fuel line... My bad though)

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was just warmed up in 6 years. :nod: My hermit crabs got canker sores older than that.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like winter either but I couldn't do Florida, unless it is the Keys. I like it there and was there last month

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so I picked up a new Ariens Snow blower made in Wisconsin. It looks like a nice machine but no where near as well built as my old one but I guess nothing would be. The first indication of a problem is they give you 2 sheer pins. If you don't know, a sheer pin is a bolt that is the weakest part of the system so if something is going to break, the sheer pin breaks before something important. My old machine didn't need sheer pins because you couldn't break anything. If I picked up a cinder block, it would either crush it, or stop. But it would not break the machine. I know because in the 39 years I ran the thing I have picked up cinder blocks, bricks and garbage can lids.
I realize they are not going to build a machine that will last that long but as long as it lasts 10 years without a major engine disaster I am good. I may cry when I retire my old one unless anyone wants an engine (or an entire machine) that runs beautifully but is old. It is probably 5hp but I am not sure

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a lot of snow. Looks knee high or deeper. Bring on Spring!

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a little over knee high, depending on what kind of knees you have. I bought anew one because I am the type of person that is always prepared. I doubt it will snow anymore this year, but if it does, I will be ready.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back