Palytoxin almost kills local reefer (Via ReefTools on FB)

SmokeyCFH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to spread this unfortunate news:

Via: Palytoxin almost kills local reefer - Reef Tools

"Tommy (Tcat3rd) Almost died Wednesday evening after being exposed to the deadly Palytoxin from zoanthids left over night in a bucket. The zoo's were have dead from leaving them over night in a bucket so he decided to clean the rocks off in his utility tub with hot water and scrubbing them. He was full aware of the danger of the toxin, he used eye protection and full length gloves to clean the rocks. What he didn't protect was his lungs, the hot water and steam from the water made the toxin airborne. After 20 minutes of cleaning the rocks he went up stairs, feeling sick to his stomach. after another half hour passed he was ready to head to the emergency room but before he left he printed out articles on the toxin to take with him. In the waiting room he became almost paralyzed and started to cough up blood, his lungs were filling up with blood as well. The Dr's treated him with everything the could think of and were getting results, they called in the priest for last rights that evening and didn't think he'd make it through the night. Thursday morning they continued massive treat of antibiotics and steroids with little improvement. Today he's on his way back from his death bed and will be in the hospital for days to run tests and monitor his progress. We wanted me to post up to let everyone know and to remind them the dangers of our tanks. Thoughts and prayers go out to Tommy and his family, which also got sick from the toxin just not as bad as Tommy did being in closer range to the steam.
Erik"

mfdrookie516

Certified Redneck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats terrible. Oddly, the second time I've read such a story. There's one floating around on another forum where a guy tried to kill some palys by boiling water and pouring it on them ( I think was how it went..). Very scary stuff.

mallorieGgator

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poor guy! Prayers will go out to him and his family.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That is scary!

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's a real shame is I shared this on another forum and a few believe it's fake... Sorry to hear about this.. Hopefully he makes it around and shares his experience here so we can learn from it...

poidog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thats terrible. Oddly, the second time I've read such a story. There's one floating around on another forum where a guy tried to kill some palys by boiling water and pouring it on them ( I think was how it went..). Very scary stuff.

That was me. Haha. Happened about a year ago. Although mine wasn't as serious I was ill for 2 days after the initial poisoning. My new tank has no palys or zoas!

Otter_rs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had that toxin enter a cut on my hand during extensive fresh water dips about ten years ago, back when we were a little less aware of this. It's amazing how bad this stuff is. Speedy recovery man!

tj51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably posted in the wrong area (zoa discussion) but we had an article about a reefer in 2007 who got messed up with palytoxin, so when I make reference to it, that's what it's about. This happened to me yesterday -

OMG I feel like a real idiot. I saw this article and as a zoa keeper I knew the dangers and thought that this guy fragged/messed with some zoas/palys and accidently put his hands to his mouth. My story......I have a rock covered with those ugly brown worthless polyps, so to save space I chunked it in the sump (with all the macro algae blocking the light and it was probably face down all the polyps were/appeared dead). I needed a rock to house some new zoas and took this one from the sump, but I didn't want those brown polyps back so I put the rock in my sink, and turned on the hot water. After about 10 minutes I put it in the tank, but the rock was acting weird and some of my corals were acting distressed so I took it out, put it in a bucket and refreshed the carbon in my tank.

I started getting stopped- up but just figured something had irritated my throat and didn't think anything about it. I even went to a member's house and bought some zoas, but as one who used to have asthma it felt like an attack was on the horizon. I took some asthma meds I had from before but it didn't help. OMG then it hit and hit hard. I started throwing up, had the worse case of chills I've ever had even with my apartment being 75 degrees, and my lungs were full of stuff, I could hardly breathe. I read this post and thought oh shyt, I didn't know he got his from steam. Went to a prima care and they told me to go the the emergency room. This is now about 5 pm. I had to explain to the Dr. what had happened, he ran some tests and a few hours later started treating my symptoms as a lung infection/asthma. Bottom line is I will be on the most evil drug I know, pregnazone for a week or more (it keeps me up at night and adds a lot of water weight). I had to find a 24 hour pharmacy and get all sorts of stuff filled and buy a cool mist humifier. I'm home now and feel like a fool. I will have to pay my insurance's deductable for the year ($500), the emergency room deductable ($75), the drug store cost me $65, I can't run for a few days or longer and will have to deal with my lungs filling up with stuff all day. The good things....the nurses were not bad looking at all and one of the prescriptions is a cough medicine with codine
emoticon-0105-wink.gif
Almost 5 hours in an emergency room, over $600 out the window; all because I didn't read this.

tcat3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never saw that my story was here, sorry rev, need to keep in touch more here.
I also saw several post about this being a fake. Believe it, contact me if you want. The offending palys have been tested for palytoxin and DNA by the FDA. They wee extremely full of palytoxin. This is the same biochemists that documented Steveoutlaws case. Great guy! Once this is journalized, I will be sharing it on saltwater sites that had my story.

It was written by a great guy from LEAR the second day I was in the hospital. He did it for me for our local Cleveland area clubs.

It is now 4 months and I am still a mess. I am %1,000 better but still a mess. I can function for work and simple activities but cannot exert myself at all. I miss a few days of work every week or two. Went to a water park with my grandson and was only able to make one trip up the steps. I had to let people pass us at the top to get my breath. The pulmonary docs will ony let me do the walking that I need to get by. He told me I couldn't even walk extra yet. Hopefully after my next appt this month. I am also going in for extensive brain tests due to the affects that it has had on my short term memory. Tons of headaches. Thank god for Vicky, my wife of 37 years this month, she even let me keep my reef! I have lost quite a few of my acros and acans due to having a hard time keeping up with water changes and maintenance. Ill heal up my reef soon. Not the best right now.

I hate typing so I'll have to give a update after dr. Appts this month.

Just please, believe my story, I'll post it when journalized to verify it but don't play with this. God willing I did not die, but was on the edge.

Peace,
Tommy

wrasseluver

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also saw several post about this being a fake. Believe it, contact me if you want. The offending palys have been tested for palytoxin and DNA by the FDA. They wee extremely full of palytoxin. This is the same biochemists that documented Steveoutlaws case. Great guy! Once this is journalized, I will be sharing it on saltwater sites that had my story.

It was written by a great guy from LEAR the second day I was in the hospital. He did it for me for our local Cleveland area clubs.

It is now 4 months and I am still a mess. I am %1,000 better but still a mess. I can function for work and simple activities but cannot exert myself at all. I miss a few days of work every week or two. Went to a water park with my grandson and was only able to make one trip up the steps. I had to let people pass us at the top to get my breath. The pulmonary docs will ony let me do the walking that I need to get by. He told me I couldn't even walk extra yet. Hopefully after my next appt this month. I am also going in for extensive brain tests due to the affects that it has had on my short term memory. Tons of headaches. Thank god for Vicky, my wife of 37 years this month, she even let me keep my reef! I have lost quite a few of my acros and acans due to having a hard time keeping up with water changes and maintenance. Ill heal up my reef soon. Not the best right now.

Just please, believe my story, I'll post it when journalized to verify it but don't play with this. God willing I did not die, but was on the edge.

Peace,
Tommy

Man it's great to hear that you are doing better and please keep us updated.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Peace,
Tommy

WOW thank God you are alive and well! Please take care of yourself and we look forward to your documentation!

k2parkstar

Z&P Snob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep the faith man. Glad your doing well, and glad to hear you kept the reef something like this totally puts life in perspective.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.1%
Back