Chalice ID Please

MioReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this frag from a LFS a couple of months ago. It was kind of browned out but now it's coloring up very well. Can someone help me ID this please? Thanks!

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely it does not have a name or if it did it can not be traced. But with a better picture it may have a common name group given to chalices that have similar looks.

It looks like you may have gotten a gem. If it continues to color up it will be a really nice piece. Could you get a better clear picture with less blue lighting?

OP
OP
MioReefer

MioReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, All I have is a crappy iPhone camera but I'll try to take a pic without blues tonight. The LFS that I got this from gets all his livestock from top vendors like Cornbred ASD and such. I am hoping this turns out to be a really nice piece.

OP
OP
MioReefer

MioReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pic with whites on.
b13d1e3587d34310e531525b42d0bfeb_zpsb457392d.jpg

f9e9e0eec8110b05b85045a26f9249fe_zps6c498139.jpg

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful!
Looks like an alien eye on steroids!

That is why i think it may be an echinata. The white markings, color pattern and size of the eye. If it is an echinata you do not want to place it near your other chalices.

OP
OP
MioReefer

MioReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, I've also thought it could be an echinata but I haven't found any that look like mine. I guess I'll just have to let it grow out more to find out. If you have any pics that you think might look like mine please post them here just for comparison.

Last edited:

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acan enchanata come in dozens of colors. Is one of my favorite corals when it comes to color. They are often mis-taken for chalices, especially when in frag stage like yours. I think the original Goku is really an enchanata however it was thought to be sold as a chalice. Enchanata is very aggressive and growth fast so placement is key.

I hope it was not sold to you had a chalice with a price tag of being from one of the high end growers you mentioned.

OP
OP
MioReefer

MioReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was acutely a freebie on a shipped order from a LFS in Orlando. I never paid much attention to it until I started to see the color pattern. I've search on the difference between an echinata and a chalice but it is hard to get a clear answer.

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orlando, i am sure i have visited that store. Maybe even know owners or workers.

Differences can be subtle. The raised bumps on the skin look like they radiate from the eye, chalice if bumps are present are more of a random look. Also the eye itself. The eye on enchanata are more pronounced not quite like its cousin the acan lord. When it gets bigger with more eyes the differences should be more evident. It will not take long like all acans they eat like pigs.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back