Plate I.D. please?

Ja-reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought it from my LFS after seeing it in the frag tanks for a couple a weeks. The store owner doesnt know what it is. And I dont either... so help? IMG_20150227_145217.jpg

Reeferdude56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a regular fungia, some plate corals have that "dome" or more of an bulge near the month especially if they are hungry or have
Swallowed a large amount of food. Very beautiful!

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it may be a cycloseris not a fungia. If it always had raised mouth area. Fungia are completely flat. This is generally visible on bottom as well. Cycloseris will be concave at the raised mouth area.

Last edited:

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't cycloseris have a smooth bottom and fungias have a small scar from being attached to the rock as babies? That's what I've read anyway :)

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't cycloseris have a smooth bottom and fungias have a small scar from being attached to the rock as babies? That's what I've read anyway :)

If you are referring to the nipple yes. But cycloseris have a slight cup affect on underside. It corresponds to the mound cup on the top. Other than the nipple fungia is flat with no cup like slopping.

Back