Chalice ID. I dont have a clue

mikienhecker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got this yesterday from lfs and have been looking for id's with no luck. It looks healthy as far as i can tell, feeder tenicales were out today. They were not long and i read that the length is important but i cant remember why. If anyone can help it would be awesome.

Attachments

• 1429488680768.jpg
    1429488680768.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 216

Reeferdude56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is definitely not a chalice, sorry if they sold it to you as that. I am pretty sure it is an astreopora.

OP
OP
M

mikienhecker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually bought the rock for the green polyps on the right side of the pic. That was just on the same rock. The whole rock was $50 and i hope i got a decent deal. They had aiptasia and majonos everywhere but i have berghia nudis to handle up on that. I even brought home some of the easy to get to ones for them. Im not sure what either one is but i will research the one you told me. Here is a pic of the whole rock.

Attachments

• 1429489634333.jpg
    1429489634333.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 158

Reeferdude56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unfortunately i wouldn't say that is worth fifty dollars, those teacup polyps are extremely fast growers, so they aren't very expensive, i got some on a rock a couple months ago and now they take up most of the rock. If you wanted the rock more than the stuff on it the rock is a very cool shape.

OP
OP
M

mikienhecker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Well at least i know now. Is the astreopora a fast growing hardy coral as well?

OP
OP
M

mikienhecker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope not. They almost starved last time i ran out of aiptasia. They are usualy very bright and full but when they start to starve they get skinny and kinda dull. Here is a pic on a good day.

Attachments

• 1429493453941.jpg
    1429493453941.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 151

thedasher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that nudis do eat polyps but I'm not sure if every single one does. Hopefully someone has a definite answer, if not I guess you'll find out.

OP
OP
M

mikienhecker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im pretty sure that they look like what they eat. I have had at least 4 or 5 in my tank. I think i have pics of them all.
The first one eats orange encrusting sponges.
I also had one that ate my gorgonians. Plucked both of them out.
I had lettuce sponges like in the second picture that i caught in Florida.
Never figured out what they ate but it probably looked leafy.
I also had some that looked just like the garden slugs but they were a 1cm long and green and white. Thought i had more pictures of them but the other ones were so camoflaged that you wouldnt be able to have seen them anyways.
I have done plenty of research on the berghia nudibrach and all they eat is aiptasia and mojano anemones. Without them they starve to death.
Just clearing up the misunderstanding. The realy beautiful ones probably eat polyps and sponges or are even extreamly toxic. But the diets range greatly between one speicies and another.

Attachments

• 1429580587362.jpg
    1429580587362.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 105
  • 1429580990837.jpg
    1429580990837.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 104

thedasher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im pretty sure that they look like what they eat. I have had at least 4 or 5 in my tank. I think i have pics of them all.
The first one eats orange encrusting sponges.
I also had one that ate my gorgonians. Plucked both of them out.
I had lettuce sponges like in the second picture that i caught in Florida.
Never figured out what they ate but it probably looked leafy.
I also had some that looked just like the garden slugs but they were a 1cm long and green and white. Thought i had more pictures of them but the other ones were so camoflaged that you wouldnt be able to have seen them anyways.
I have done plenty of research on the berghia nudibrach and all they eat is aiptasia and mojano anemones. Without them they starve to death.
Just clearing up the misunderstanding. The realy beautiful ones probably eat polyps and sponges or are even extreamly toxic. But the diets range greatly between one speicies and another.
Oh alright thanks for that because I actually wanted one for aiptasia but thought they will eat my zoas

OP
OP
M

mikienhecker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine almost died because i couldnt find any aiptasia. I finaly found some though and they are happy now. Im waiting for the babys to show up soon. They have been laying eggs for a month now.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back