PRICE DROPS: AI Hydra TwentySix (-$100) and FiftyTwo (-$50)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

shlap

View Badges
Reaction score
Sweeet. That can only mean that the next version of AI light will be out soon ;)

OP
OP
MarineDepot

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
Sweeet. That can only mean that the next version of AI light will be out soon ;)

The AI Prime will be released soon, although we hadn't even considered the prospect that AI may release new lights or update existing ones. Could be! Who knows, but it's certainly fun to speculate...

mystery_box_3543_6880.jpg

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Perhaps you can help me out. I have a 120 that is covered with 3 reefbreeder value LEDs running at 100%. The LEDs are browing out to time to replace. I am thinking of getting 3 hydra 26s perpendicular to replace with the new price drop. I like the more even coverage and less hot spots than using 52's as I worry about coral self shading and would want 3 units no matter the power. Will 3 26's be alright? I was thinking of adding another, but that seems like overkill. I shoot for 300-400 par even on the rock with 100-200 on the bottom. I am using the tank rail mount that sits on the rim.

Thanks!

OP
OP
MarineDepot

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
Gorgeous looking tank! We would recommend going with the three Hydra 26's if you are able to suspend the rail kit. To get the best coverage, you will want about 10" from the bottom of the light to the top of the aquarium. Using the legs, you will only have 5"-6" AWL as the lights sit below the rails. There would be significantly more shadowing.

If you are unable to suspend the fixture, then the 52's would be the better option as it would give you less shadowing.

OP
OP
MarineDepot

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
Half circle tanks are gorgeous! If it is going to be a mixed reef and you can suspend the lights 10"-12", two would be just fine. If the tank is going to be SPS-dominated and/or the lights need to be a bit closer to the water, then you would probably want to have three.

kalendo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Would two 26's work on a 75 gallon? Planning mix Reef but more towards on the sps size. I will supplement the lights with my 16" chinese reef led.

OP
OP
MarineDepot

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
Two Hydra 26's would work just fine for a 75 gallon mixed reef. If you decide to focus on SPS, a third Hydra 26 would be good to have. Without knowing anything about the Chinese Reef LED, we don't know how much a difference it would make.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Quick follow up. Got 3 26's for my 120. I have them on the rail tank mount, but not mounted below it, I was using that mount for my other lighting and had metal strips cut so the fixtures could sit between the rails and the 26's also fit that very nicely - so the bottom of the 26 is also at the bottom of the mount. With them mounted perpendicular they cover the 24" deep very well. I did go ahead and order another, 3 still had a bit of shading on SPS colonies, 4 will be perfect. Thrilled with the director and the colors.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back