Sand bed Diatoms never go away. Detailed specs inside.

allyourfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys / gals, I believe this is my first time posting here but seems like a really cool resource. I need to know from your experiences what I am overlooking for these diatoms constantly spreading on my sand bed, tank is nearing a year old. Here are detailed specs / pictures of my setup please help!! :squigglemouth:

I have gone through everything in my tank with a fine toothed comb and cannot figure out why my sand bed is still covered in brown diatom algae!? Please let me know if I have overlooked anything.
-General-
-Back of tank-

-1st Chamber - Filter Floss (Changed Bi-Weekly)-2nd Chamber - Divided into 2 sections with Egg Crate -1st Division - 2 tbsp of BRS ROX 0.8 Carbon - in high-flow changed every 2 weeks / MJ1200 to Media Reactor / Return -2nd Division - Refugium JBJ Nano Glo runs opposite of my display lights with Chaetomorpha changed every 2 weeks -3rd Chamber - Return Pump Sponge / Return Pump with Hydor Flo - Rotator and Purigen -Once every 2 weeks I vacuum the back parts of the tank where sand and detritus settle in the sump. Picture - https://www.dropbox.com/s/ff5h2vuq96crmfm/2014-04-15 18.39.39.jpg [4]
-Parameters-
  • PH 7.8/.9
  • Salinity 1.025/.6
  • Ammonia 0ppm
  • Nitrate <5ppm
  • dKH 10.6
  • MG 1460
  • p04 0ppm
  • Calcium 400ppm
  • Used to use API PH 8.2 to get my 7.0 PH RO water to spec, recently my salt mix has been buffering my NSW to 8.5+ I literally have no clue. So I have been using Sulphuric Acid to drop it
-Inhabitants
  • ~20 hermits
  • ~5 Nessarius Snails
  • ~5 Ceriths
  • 1 Turbo
  • 1 Cleaner Shrimp
  • No Fish! My Sixline ate them all, Shouldn't have done that.....
ALGAE PROBLEM- https://www.dropbox.com/s/7v0pzfd3bescoil/2014-04-15 18.35.29.jpg [5]
I do religious water changes every week of 5 gallons of 0 TDS RODI water mixed for around a day with an air stone and heater. My problem is I constantly battle algae on the sand bed. I cannot do anything to get rid of it. I have even done 3, 5 gallon water changes in a row but it keeps coming back. I understand how you can never get an accurate reading of P04 due to the algae using it as it forms but I rinse all food going into tank, roughly feed my corals once every 2 weeks and my shrimp likes peas so I give him half of one a week. Back a few weeks ago I was suffering with Cyanobacteria, after weeks of water changes and light dimming I broke down and used Ultra Life Red Slime Remover, and it worked, all my SPS and LPS look fine as well. But now brown diatom has broken out all over the sand bed. What have I not been doing right!?! This tank has been setup for a year now and all my SPS / LPS is doing phenominal, why the heck isn't my sand sparkling clean? Help me!! What am I doing wrong? / Overlooking. Oh here is a bonus pic of my OctoSpawn :eek: https://www.dropbox.com/s/g8he3nkadmx8tp5/2014-04-14 09.28.41.jpg [6]
Thanks for the help in advance.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Im not a ton of help on the subject but I'm curious what brand of sand you started with? I've seen a lot of people struggling with diatoms lately, your definitely not alone.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe your LED strip is running a bit long? Do you think your corals would be OK if you cut back some, maybe an hour or hour and a half a day? I got diatoms when I supplemented my T5 fixture with a true blue LED strip. I've cut back on the time its on and the diatoms seem to be lessening. I am also using a test sample of Nualgi so I am not sure which factor is improving the situation.

OP
OP
A

allyourfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My controller only goes down to 10hr's and that is how long my photoperiod is, I assumed since it is an LED it shouldn't promote algae growth "AS" much. My tank also gets at least an hour long healthy dose of sun each day, had no other choice of placement for the tank.

nualgi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So that product helps with diatoms or helps cause it?
There are over 200 species of diatoms. The diatom bloom that Nualgi creates typically dissipates in a few hours. The diatoms you see on the sand are not the species that are being consumed by zooplankton. However, the species created by Nualgi are consumed by zooplankton which is why they are gone in 3-4 hours after dosing.

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are over 200 species of diatoms. The diatom bloom that Nualgi creates typically dissipates in a few hours. The diatoms you see on the sand are not the species that are being consumed by zooplankton. However, the species created by Nualgi are consumed by zooplankton which is why they are gone in 3-4 hours after dosing.

So I guess my question is, does this product help to dissipate diatoms?

nualgi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess my question is, does this product help to dissipate diatoms?
Short answer: yes. Diatoms are also algae. Not all diatoms are equal. The species Nualgi promotes out competes what you may have on the sand bed. So with a little help from a turkey baster, those diatoms on the sand will dissipate.

nualgi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nualgi, I have another question. I run a UV, will that destroy the zooplankton that are so beneficial to the tank?[/QUOTE
UV is fine. Once the tank is where you want it to be, we recommend experimenting with all the variables and dosing...UV, gfo, lighting duration, feeding practices etc because Nualgi impacts water parameters and food chain in a good way...so you need to fine tune!

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nualgi, I have another question. I run a UV, will that destroy the zooplankton that are so beneficial to the tank?[/QUOTE
UV is fine. Once the tank is where you want it to be, we recommend experimenting with all the variables and dosing...UV, gfo, lighting duration, feeding practices etc because Nualgi impacts water parameters and food chain in a good way...so you need to fine tune!

OK thank you. My tank is responding very well to Nualgi.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back