Nuisance macro algae help

dman612

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a running tank from someone on craigslist and it came riddled with some kinda cladophoropsis macro i believe
20140418_014347.jpg
20140418_014404.jpg

its wiry and attaches to everything

its a pain to manually remove it bc it embeds in the rock/wall/sand/overflow and spreads easily it if not done outside the tank
My tang wont touch it nor any inverts

it seems like a never ending battle, daily removal keeps it tame but its never fully away, smothers polyps and is an eyesore

any ideas before i start dremeling out all the attached? or throwing 80% of the rock in the sump? lol

OP
OP
dman612

dman612

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like caulerpa feather (Caulerpa taxifolia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and grape macro algae. If it is in the sump it is a good thing. We often grow algae in the sump so it will not grow in the display tank. Why do you want to get rid of it?

because its in my display tank and is ugly and smothers polyps. i guess manual removal and dremeling out the embedded algae it is. anything too gone and covered will go in the sump and ill see if i can recover some overgrown polyps.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back