Cyano patches

Defect

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So....I know cyano is not a algae but figured I could put it here. I have some small patches of cyano in the lower flow areas of my tank. Trying to figure out what is causing it. My water source is perfectly fine, no readings on phostphate or nitrate. I have one mp10 set on reef crest at 80% so around lets say 1200 gph and a wp25 set on w1 so another 1400gph or so plus the return about 55x turnover. My tank is 24x22x22 50 gallons. I have 5 fish in the tank 1 cryptic wrasse, 1 possum wrasse, 1 diamond goby and 2 clowns. I feed about a nickel size of lrs reef frenzy or the same amount of rods a day and feed the coral with oysterfeast mixed with reef frenzy or rods 3 times a week. My rock was dry rock from marcos rock. The tank is 5 months old. Lights run from 7:30 in the morning to 7:00 at night. Reef radiance 120 pro. I do a 10% water change weekly and syphon what I can get to out. Small clean up crew but nothing eats cyano anyway.

Testing 0 phostphates and 2-3 nitrates. Have a skimmer rated for a 150 tank and running GFO(Changed bi-weekly) and have chaeto in the sump. What might be feeding this cyano? Sorry for the long post but wanted to get everything in there let me know if there is anything else you want to know. It is not taking over the tank by any means but I can see it getting a little worse and worse everyday.

Thanks in advance,

Aaron

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing I see I a huge photo period. Id cut thst down a bit, like say to 8-10 hours. And wave off the patches for a couple of weeks, see if you cant get it to stop that way.

OP
OP
Defect

Defect

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will go ahead and cut the light period down and use the go ol' turkey baster to kick the stuff up. I have read that if you do that though it will spread around. I tried sucking some up yesterday during my water change and sucked up my goni off the rock....oops.

Thanks,

Aaron

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just waved it off in my tank, when I had it. I never had an issue with it going from spot to spot, just showed up in its normal spot for a few days, then just stopped growing back.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dealing with this myself and I have tried everything. Increased flow ,reduced feeding, reduced photoperiod, vacuuming sand etc. and nothing as worked as of yet. All parameters are spot on. I am at a loss.

moulton712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have leeching phosphates. The only downside to dry rock. I had some leech for almost a year. Also check your rodi water. 2 biggest things.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back