Algae on the SB?

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 9wks old. Arag-Live Figi Pink sand. Diatoms came and went. In it's place are lil tufts of green algae all over the SB. Not on the rock, glass or anywhere else. It actually glues the sand together. It's almost carpet like when I move the sand about.
N02/N03=.0
Ammonia=.0
P04=0.05

Could it be my LED's that is causing this?

vic67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of salt do you use? I read in another forum where some reefers thought it was their Seachem Reef Salt causing it. I think it could be cyano.

vic67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano can be blue-green from what I read. I get some of the same stuff from time to time; that's when I cut back a little on the feedings.

OP
OP
NanaReefer

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's very hard to do with LED's :( I just did a water change, vacuuming the sands surface trying to remove as much of this crap as possible. Dumping it out the water was actually tinted green. It is no where else but on the SB.
Do you think maybe it was/is the live sand I used? Even my son commented, mom you never had this before.
I've been dosing SeaChem zoo and phytoplankton 1xweekly at half a cap full. Think I'll stop.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has to be from excess nutrients causing this nuisance algae. I would recommend to quit dosing and when you start back dose less and try to figure out which one is causing this issue. I have found that most liquid additives such as coral foods etc. will cause problems If dosed too much. When I dose I only use half the recommended dosage.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back