Does anyone know what this is? And how to get rid of it?

darksideofthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It started a little a over a week ago with a white/pinkish string, slimy film on my glass. I scraped the glass and syphoned everything I could get. checked my parameters, everything was in check. The next da was back. so I syphoned it out again, and it keeps coming back and is getting harder and harder to syphon and turkey basest off. im going to try to scrub tonight with a tooth brush.

A little on my tank it is a 45 gallon deep blue frag tank. and a 60 gallon deep blue frag tank plumbed together into the same sump. I have an external reef octopus skimmer (rated for over 250 gallons) and media reactor that contains seagel (matrix carbon and phosguard mixed). Also has a fuge with cheato. I use the tanks to house my frags from trimming my dt and to hold my frags a fish for a qt. Also have a hospital tank incase I need to treat anything. lighting on one is a 4 bulb t5 using ati bulbs the other is two reef breeders led fixtures. theres everything from mushrooms to sps, and for fish there's a pair of onyx clowns, a mystery wrasse, mckoskers wrasse, and a mandarin. the tanks are both bar bottom and I use reef crystals salt mix.

it is starting to effect my corals any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks for your time. and sry for not so great pics

Attachments

• CAM00208.jpg
    CAM00208.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 211
  • CAM00209.jpg
    CAM00209.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 208
  • algea.jpg
    algea.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 235
  • algea2.jpg
    algea2.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 216

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its the white bacteria. You dosing anything? Carbon dosing?
Phosphate levels are under .05?
You'll have to keep removing it, or it will take over. What was the last thing you added to the tank and when was that?

ReeferEric

Resident Reef Junky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its the white bacteria. You dosing anything? Carbon dosing?
Phosphate levels are under .05?
You'll have to keep removing it, or it will take over. What was the last thing you added to the tank and when was that?

You beat me to the punch, I assume its excess bacteria from carbon dosing as well.

OP
OP
D

darksideofthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last thing I added was a frag of bbeb zoas.

my phos is at .02 this morning it did g up from .01 last night when I checked it.

I am not dosing carbon. the only thing i dose is the aquavitro line to keep everything up between water changes when needed.

rworegon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would run some fresh carbon. If its bacteria, that should help. My frag tank did the same thing and carbon wiped it out in a day.

OP
OP
D

darksideofthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok quick update ive changed out the carbon 2 more times and have been doing water changes every other day, im adding dr tims refresh and in 4 more days i will be adding dr tims waste away. it seems to be helping. along with the manual siphoning everyday. hopefully i keep going in this direction.

thanks for the suggestions everyone

Back