too much nutrients

bloodshots

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank has bad stringy allgae and cyno starting. ive been doing my water changes through a Glacier water outside of most super markets when i moved to a town that doesnt have rodi water for sale. so thats my source of nutrients i believe. but my question is what RODI system do you recommend and how much of a water change is recommended on a 150gal tank when i get this rodi system? starting to affect corals and anemones. im still new to this too. so bare with me

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend you purchase a tds tester so you can see what you have. Normally most people change out water at 10 % at a time. If you have nuisance algae problems you need to test for nitrates and phosphates.

OP
OP
B

bloodshots

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
already tested the water. no nitrates. has phosphates but i cant get it down and just gets worse, i figured where im getting the water is not good. i need to make my own rodi water for water changes.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your running a skimmer, and possibly a filter, you can use whats called SeaKlear Phosphate remover, you can get it at your local pool store, it can remove all phosphates immediately. But depending on how much you have, you might want to bring them down a little at a time over a few days time frame. I use the stuff to thit day, instead of GFO.

BigMike81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting some algae growth actually on my hermit crab shells. I do about 15% water changes every week, any suggestions on what would be a good way to get this under control?:eek:oh:

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the previous suggestions will work....you need to remove the phosphates. If you can't stop adding them to the tank (as of right now) then they need to be removed afterwards by chemical means ( such as using a GFO reactor).

BigMike81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When would be a good time to add Seaklear? i am excited to try this product but don't know that much about it. Thank you for the link.:xd:

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just use it by the capfuls, its really strong stuff for our lil systems. I use it once sometimes twice a week, depending on what Im feeding. It removes phosphates right now. If you have no coral in the tank, then you can add a couple capfuls every other day until the phosphates are completely gone, it won't take long.

Back