What Macros are you using?

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been thinking about expanding my refugium a bit.. Right now all i have in there is chaeto. All the talk about other stuff going "sexual" freaked me out a while back and never put anything else in there. So what are you guys using? Any issues with a particular algae? Also post pics! :)

Chetrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Calurpa algae is the one that goes sexual. Not 100%. However, I have Grape Calurpa and another type not really sure of them name. The goal however is phosphate removal and a stable PH.

vic67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to Ulva in my fuge and DT but the snails really loved it and soon it was gone.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grow Caulerpa racemosa in my refugia as it is more effective than Chaetomprpha.

The BIG, BIG concern is not sexual reproduction (not a big deal, IME), but rather that it gets into the main tank and is almost impossible to eradicate. I even broke down a tank and scraped the rock,a nd it sprang back from hidden crevices.

I got a one spot foxface (a fish) that eats it and problem solved. Now I move macroalgae regularly to the display to feed the fish. :)

I've tried other macroalgae species without much success. They all decline relative to the Caulerpa.

Bwson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have rock infested caulerpa racemosa and i just got a one spot foxface 2 weeks ago. I still have some of it left but that foxface is like a fish tank weedwacker. I think it will all be gone in a week or so...

Chef.ryan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grow macro in my DT. I like the way it looks.
image.jpg

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back