How do you get rid of bubble algae?

newlyreefd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some bubble algae on one of my zoa frags. It's only on the frag atm. No where else. I think it came in on the frag. Well how do I get it off the frag w/o it spreading? Thanks.

Dave

Dan_k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have couple on my rocks maybe 2-3 in the whole tank what causes this and if the cause was to be changed or fixed would they go away on there own?
I would hate to pop them and end up with more

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with Randy. If you can't remove the rock, during a WC, use the siphon hose to scrape them off. This will remove the bubbles and any spores if they should break. Make sure all other flow is turned off before hand.
Good luck and remember, persistence is key :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have couple on my rocks maybe 2-3 in the whole tank what causes this and if the cause was to be changed or fixed would they go away on there own?
I would hate to pop them and end up with more

It is very hard to defeat valonia (bubble algae) by reducing nutrients or in any other way that does not involve physical removal by you or another organism that eats them.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the only way I can think of to prevent is to try and not introduce it - however, I think that is a very hard task to prevent having some here and there. It's really pretty easy to manually remove it. They usually scrape off as a group.

cope413

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emerald crabs are generally pretty helpful when it comes to bubble algae. I had an issue about 6 months ago. Picked up 2 emeralds and it was all gone in about a week. Haven't seen it since

OP
OP
newlyreefd

newlyreefd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emerald crabs are generally pretty helpful when it comes to bubble algae. I had an issue about 6 months ago. Picked up 2 emeralds and it was all gone in about a week. Haven't seen it since
Well mine are on my Fruit loop zoa frag. I would hate for the emerald crab to get a taste of zoa and go all crazy on my garden. lol

Dan_k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I saw somewhere that crabs will break the bubble allowing spores to go all over creating more bubble alge
If crabs work I'm all for it

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[video=youtube;MeqtPe3XukM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeqtPe3XukM[/video]

cope413

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crabs turn on coral if they don't have enough food. I have a pretty clean tank and my two crabs haven't touch any of my zoas or other softies.

moulton712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you have it, you are stuck. Sometimes frags will have a spore and spread from there. Once you have it you must stay on top of removal, it will spread like wild fire if not kept in check.

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have valonia in places around my tank. It has slowly spread around, but for the most part isn't out of control. The first emerald crab I got turned on my coral, could have been a different type of crab though. The second one started eating valonia then fell over dead after a couple days. I will probably give another crab a chance but if it doesn't work I'll go back to manual removal of what I can reach.

McolonReefAddict

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oddly enough I was lucky with removing about 95% of mine. Now is just a matter of controlling is population. Persistence is key. The crazy thing for me is that my yellow tang eats the bubbles. Not sure if its a natural thing for the tang but I'm not complaining. He picks at the small bubbles and I manually remove the larger ones. I'm pretty sure he's the reason it keeps coming back lol. But its free food for him so it's all good.

MadCityReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A proven method of eliminating and controlling bubble algae. UV sterilizer, emerald crabs and manual removal has always worked for me.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
A proven method of eliminating and controlling bubble algae. UV sterilizer, emerald crabs and manual removal has always worked for me.

I have not heard of using a UV sterilizer before.
Where did you hear about this method?

slowtoken77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard emerald crabs do a good job. But there's something wrong with your system if you have it. Crabs will help control it. But you got to fix the problem also.

MadCityReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not heard of using a UV sterilizer before.
Where did you hear about this method?

I did not hear from anyone, I've kept saltwater tanks for 20+ years so I learned it from experience. It only makes sense, say you manually pop the bubble algae or an Emerald crab pops the bubble algae what have you either way what do you get? free floating spores. So you need to kill the spores...BOOM! UV sterilizer. I have personally eradicated 3 tanks of bubble algae. Give it a shot it works!!! :thumb:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back