Bryopsis slowly taking over :(

lviva003

Just Zoas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I started my first reefing experience in december of last year. I acquire a 36 gallon tank and purchased about 30lbs of dry rocks from BRS. I let my tank cycled and later bought some fish and corals. About 2 months ago i decided to buy some chartomorphia from liveaquaria (biggest mistake ive made). I bought because it was supposed to be beneficial to my tank and i do not know anyone with a reef tank that lives close to me. Anyways, after i introduced the chaeto everything has gone downhill. I started noticing a lot aiptasia and mojado anemone all over my tank. As soon as i saw those things i quickly removed the chaeto from my tank. The chaeto was in my tank about 3 to 4 days before i removed it. I then noticed some algae growing on my sandbed and rock. The algae on the rock started spreading very quickly so i decided to take it out and the algae from the sand i was able to scoop it out. The algae on the sand for some reason is spreading like a wild fire all over my tank. The algea is everywhere on my sandbed throughout my tank, especially in the back. Anyways, i need some serious help because i hate looking at my tank and seeing all that algae. The algae is deff bryopsis because it has the feather shaped and i also have film algae. Tank param:

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate less than 5
Ph 8.0
Calcium 420
Alkalinity 9.5
Magnesium 1200
Phosphate .13
Salinity 1.026

OP
OP
L

lviva003

Just Zoas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mentioned that my corals are closing up because the algae is attaching onto the coral. Everyweek i have take out the corals and take as much of the algae out so they can open up

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to go get Kent Tech M, and bring your Magnesium up to 1600-1800ish, you cn also do a 3 day total lights out while maintaing this routine, this will kill it off. Also, your phosphates need to come down to .05 or under.

OP
OP
L

lviva003

Just Zoas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do i do tge kent mag for? And how do i lower my phosphates? Im already running gfo and carbon

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GFO exhausts quickly when there is to much phophsate in the system, you may have to replace it sooner, just to get it down.
The Kent Tech M routine will continue until you see the stuff dead, eveyones tank is going to be different on this time frame, just depends on your tank.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it is Bryopsis?

Be prepared to spend some money. Your going to need a LOT of the Kent Tech-M. As it takes a lot to raise your magnesium to the 1600-1800 levels. Then it must be maintained at those levels for several weeks to several months, or until you see the Bryopsis turning white. It is a very tough algae!

Last edited:

Sea_Monkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I've been doing along with picking/scraping/siphoning as much out as possible. They are still there but doesnt grow as fast and some patches are turning transparent. Oh and I also add 5ml of hydrogen peroxide a day, my DT is 40g, total system with sump is around 56g-60g. And for thw corals with bryopsis on it, take them out and dip it in a 3:1(tank water:hydrogen peroxide) water ratio. Leave them in the solution for 2 mins, after 2 mins put them back to where they were,within a couple of days they will disappear. I've dipped everything, softies, lps,sps from low end to high end and they are all fine. Hope it'll work for you .

Screenshot_2014-10-19-20-04-06.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

lviva003

Just Zoas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it is Bryopsis?

Be prepared to spend some money. Your going to need a LOT of the Kent Tech-M. As it takes a lot to raise your magnesium to the 1600-1800 levels. Then it must be maintained at those levels for several weeks to several months, or until you see the Bryopsis turning white. It is a very tough algae!

Sadly It is. I've been looking at pictures online and it looks like the same thing I have. I would take a picture, but my camera sucks.

OP
OP
L

lviva003

Just Zoas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I've been doing along with picking/scraping/siphoning as much out as possible. They are still there but doesnt grow as fast and some patches are turning transparent. Oh and I also add 5ml of hydrogen peroxide a day, my DT is 40g, total system with sump is around 56g-60g. And for thw corals with bryopsis on it, take them out and dip it in a 3:1(tank water:hydrogen peroxide) water ratio. Leave them in the solution for 2 mins, after 2 mins put them back to where they were,within a couple of days they will disappear. I've dipped everything, softies, lps,sps from low end to high end and they are all fine. Hope it'll work for you .

Screenshot_2014-10-19-20-04-06.jpg

Thanks for the advice! Will the high magnesium have any negative effects to my corals or fish? I only have LPS and softies. Hydrogen peroxide? is that the same thing as Coral rx?

OP
OP
L

lviva003

Just Zoas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the multiple replies, but to anyone with experience using Kent, should I get the 16 ounce? how much have you guys used when dealing with bryopsis? Also, I do not have a sump.

Bad Company

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get something fun that eats algae (crabs, blennies, snails etc. etc.). Then export the resultant nitrates and phosphates. A way better solution than chemicals.

Sea_Monkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice! Will the high magnesium have any negative effects to my corals or fish? I only have LPS and softies. Hydrogen peroxide? is that the same thing as Coral rx?

trust me, I was nervous before I tried that method, but I went ahead and take a chance instead of sitting back and do nothing. I see no ill effects after dumping the whole 16oz in at once. Lps is still inflated, softies still open. Honestly I dont know what coral rx is made of, but use the 3% hydrogen peroxide.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get something fun that eats algae (crabs, blennies, snails etc. etc.). Then export the resultant nitrates and phosphates. A way better solution than chemicals.
Not many things will eat Bryopsis. Its also considered a clean water algae, you need not have Nitrates or Phosphates in your system to have this stuff thrive.

Sea_Monkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've tried from turbos/red foot moon snails/emerald crabs/astreas/hermits and nothing would touch it, I jiust drop in 2 lettuce nudis, they are eating it but they are so slow I feel that the bryopsis grow faster than they can chao down. I dont like chemical warfare in my tank at all, but had to go that route instead of watching it die due to algae.

OP
OP
L

lviva003

Just Zoas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
trust me, I was nervous before I tried that method, but I went ahead and take a chance instead of sitting back and do nothing. I see no ill effects after dumping the whole 16oz in at once. Lps is still inflated, softies still open. Honestly I dont know what coral rx is made of, but use the 3% hydrogen peroxide.

Is there any way you can re-post the picture of provide a link that I can look at it. The picture comes out very blurry on my phone and I am unable to read it. Also, were you dosing Kent while doing the hydrogen peroxide? or just h202 by itself?

FLipp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i hate bryopsis, i was forced to get all new rock for my 57,
it might be too late on your case to start using kent m or hydra mg, but i would still give it a try.
i almost gave up on the hobby after the bryopsis outbreak, dont try pulling it because it will only spread more.

good luck!

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get gallon jugs. Pretty cheap at dfs. I had it and the kent tech m took care of it quickly. Within 2 weeks mine was history. I now keep mine at around `1600 with no ill affect

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back