24/7 lighting refugiums and pod farms what say you?

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photo403-1.jpg

I have a refugium, a display one that i'm not sure a 24/7 photoperiod would benefit.

However i found on facebook a newbee with a small fuge with such an arrangement tha might be good for my pod farm.

724.jpg

723.jpg

Having seen his growth and the abundance in critters in his makes me wonder if the interuption of light is necessary to a pod's development or not, what do you think ?

1412316018771.jpg

Taken from my microscope certain pictures are quite revealing of the work some of those critters do.

1412316113128.jpg

The worms gather the sand and what ever particules are traped into clumps

14123162246233.jpg

As you can see in this video.

[video=youtube;1YjizqNWEv4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YjizqNWEv4&index=19&list=PLk_Pw-jAYdFfzK1jNhN7rAilGwHaEzvH5[/video]

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've switched mine to 24/7. I only keep Dragons breath macro and some live rock. It's growing hair algae, cyano and all sort of stuff but my sps are growing faster and that's what I'm after so I've left it.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept a 24/7 lit Refugium with mixed Macro's for many years with no issues PH or otherwise and have huge population of Pods, Snails, Worms, Limpits,Sponges etc...etc... Occasionally even a few Banggai babies make it down there to thrive.

Cheers, Todd

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run mine about 11 hours and was under the impression that complete dark is very helpful for breeding of pods. But that was just somebody's opinion I'm not sure if its true or not. I do know my amphipod and copepod populations are pretty good as well as random visitors.

OP
OP
basile

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run mine about 11 hours and was under the impression that complete dark is very helpful for breeding of pods. But that was just somebody's opinion I'm not sure if its true or not. I do know my amphipod and copepod populations are pretty good as well as random visitors.

Well in nature they're considered nocturnal inverts and buzz more in the dark apparently. Most inverts do actually. Its a survival thing for minute creatures, for protection. Its not just someones opinion make research on google wicki and look it up. Thats exactly what it says about its life style.

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well in nature they're considered nocturnal inverts and buzz more in the dark apparently. Most inverts do actually. Its a survival thing for minute creatures, for protection. Its not just someones opinion make research on google wicki and look it up. Thats exactly what it says about its life style.
ng
I realize they are nocturnal I meant the breeding part but I will look it up later thank you

Reefedup

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently running 24/7 to kick start my ATS, I've noticed most of the sump life has moved to the cryptic zone. Now they have moved further from the return pump and aren't making it to the DT. I plan to cut back on light hours soon so the pods move back to the fuge section and take that ride to the DT. So if you have room you may consider adding a cryptic zone, maybe near the return pump.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back