Bryopsis

electricrcplane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, here goes; I've had bryopsis outbreak for 2 + years in a shallow frag tank, (maybe 5" deep by 5' long, 2' wide. What I've done to try and combat the problem:
  • Raise magnesium to > 2400 PPM.
  • can't dose peroxide as my chalices hate that; (I tried)
  • take all the frag plugs out and remove bryopsis, dry them, and than soak them in hyrogen peroxide.
  • refrag if plug is too covered in algae.
Could it just be that tank? I also have a 6' x 2' x 17" DSA shallow frag tank that doesn't have any bropsis in it and a 45 gallon mantis cube all attached to a.... wait for it...., 8ft x 22", x 16" sump, lol.

I never really could get the flow right in the shallow frag tank simply because of the shallow depth. I put many pumps in at different places and I noticed the best flow spots never grew algae. It'll be gone in a week from the system but would appreciate any ideas or input.

Thanks,
Eric

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What product did you use to raise your mag? I ask because it seems with a lot of people only kents tech m seems to have an effect on bryposis I know it worked for a small outbreak I had. Also instead of simply dosing peroxide have you tried applying it directly to the bryposis in small amounts?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raising the MAG has to be done with Kent Tech M, it only works with that product.

bobamike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup I used kent mag to do the job in my system,some stuff will bleach out,but should recover,my green bubble tip bleached out,green pipe organ,and some palys did to,but nothing died except the algae which was gone in less than 48 hours after adding the mag.within 12 hours it turns clear and withers away.

TheClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, here goes; I've had bryopsis outbreak for 2 + years in a shallow frag tank, (maybe 5" deep by 5' long, 2' wide. What I've done to try and combat the problem:
  • Raise magnesium to > 2400 PPM.
  • can't dose peroxide as my chalices hate that; (I tried)
  • take all the frag plugs out and remove bryopsis, dry them, and than soak them in hyrogen peroxide.
  • refrag if plug is too covered in algae.
Could it just be that tank? I also have a 6' x 2' x 17" DSA shallow frag tank that doesn't have any bropsis in it and a 45 gallon mantis cube all attached to a.... wait for it...., 8ft x 22", x 16" sump, lol.

I never really could get the flow right in the shallow frag tank simply because of the shallow depth. I put many pumps in at different places and I noticed the best flow spots never grew algae. It'll be gone in a week from the system but would appreciate any ideas or input.

Thanks,
Eric

Hmm, that is the big question, why just this one tank on the system?

Do you have equivalent CUCs in all tanks? My frag tank plumbed in does not have the all star team (Naso, Yellow Tang and Foxface). It has far less bryopsis.

Second question, do you have equivalent lighting? Same PAR on bottom of tank? Same lighting hours?

Just a couple of ideas in case they can help, hope you get to the bottom of it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back