Phosphate algae nightmare somebody help me

aquariumrescueunit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a biocube 29 that's been running for 2+ years I have macroalgae in the fuge under a light a biocube protein skimmer and bio balls plus the regular stock filter. I keep my ph 8.2-8.4 calcium runs 380mg:L lights are on 8 hours a day and it's stocked with tons of coral. I have hermits and 2 emerald crabs algae ranges from green hair algae to slimy green algae with air bubbles in it to the horrid bubble algae I do a weekly water change of 5 gallons salinity stays around .025. I started adding start smart which cycles the tank over night, I add this a day before the water change hoping to rid of the phosphate I Also add phosbuster to kill phosphate. STILL no luck phosphate levels run about .5-1.0 the only thing I don't have is a phosban reactor. What can I do to solve this problem my tank use to run perfect parameters. Oh forgot a few details I use only ro/di water for water changes and topping off. Someone please find me a solution lol this is like watching my baby die

Candyapplezoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my phosphate reactor of Amazon for 60 bucks that's what I use to get mine down works great

Candyapplezoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've did what u did it sounds like I bought one and it help but you have to replace the pellets after they soak up the phosphates that was the trick I found but it takes a while for it to work really good

OP
OP
aquariumrescueunit

aquariumrescueunit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We'll I think that's enough to convince me to buy one as soon as I have money my lfs said that have them for like 50 for the size I need

Candyapplezoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your algae is going to go though stage every 3 week it going to be like everything else get worse before it get better get rid of those phosphates get rid of algae

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need to see pics of your tank

OP
OP
aquariumrescueunit

aquariumrescueunit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhhhh I completely understand now. Glad to know my tanks on the way to getting better right now it's in the stage where it gets worse first

OP
OP
aquariumrescueunit

aquariumrescueunit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would post pics but they really wouldn't be helpful now cause I just did a water change tonight and sucked off all the algae that was visible so it looks like there's nothing wrong but in a few days when it's back I'll post one lol

CoralGod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running an in-tank media basket? I had a biochemical for a couple years and it worked great to help channel the water over my phosguard, carbon and purigen....

asandbox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure you replace the gfo because it would start leaching back to your tank so depending on your level the higher the faster you would need to change, some people use seacheam product because they absorbed phosphates faster, you would have to change it every 24-48 hours the when your levels go down use gfo

kgk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty sure GFO won't leach phosphate back once it's bound. It does lose the ability to bind more phosphate though, so if he has algae buildup, he may need to change the GFO quite frequently as it dies back.

Maximo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gfo will leach phosphates once it is exhausted! Carbon will also! I would lose the bio balls if your intention is running a reef tank!

Maximo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point if your tank isn't cycled at 2 years it's probably not going to cycle! I would ditch the bio balls and get live rock! Basically you need to recycle the tank! Bio balls are waste factories! Are you trying I run a reef or fish only? If it's a reef you want nitrates and phosphates as close to zero as possible! Phosphate is deceiving, if you have excessive algae it is going to cause your phosphates to be undetectable because the algae is devouring I as quick as it's getting created, thus fueling the algae growth! Good luck!

OP
OP
aquariumrescueunit

aquariumrescueunit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to ditch the bioballs eventually although that will a slow process since live rock is so expensive and it is indeed a reef tank. One more question for everyone though I havnt added sand since I started the tank and there's hardly any left from the water changes over the years I guess. How do I go about adding new sand to an active tank? I know this could help the cycling process since sand filters water as well, but would you reccomend this?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 27 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.1%
Back