What is this red algae?

hopeitlives

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have this red/maroon algae growing: it is not cyano as it will not blow off. In some areas it has "hair" growing from it. Thought it was red hair algae. Too stubborn. It sticks like Coraline. Any help in identifying would be appreciated.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424319731.109958.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424319781.062481.jpg

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it hard? Have you scraped it? Could it be coralline algae? Porolithon sp.? Or Lithophyllum sp.

Last edited:

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the exact same problem and I can't figure it out either. I'll be following along.

JReefaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this same algae. A few people on a Facebook aquarium both id'd it as red turf algae. I have looked into red turf algae treatment and the only consistent way to treat it is with peroxide. If it is isolated on one rock I would remove that rock and either isolate it in a tub and treat it in the tub to try and prevent it spreading. Mine is to the point it is all over my rocks and powerheads are all covered in it. I have read that some Mexican turbo snails will eat it, but it is not a definite yes or no with them. That is about as far as I have made it with my outbreak, I will be more than happy to try and update you guys on how it goes when I begin treatment.
I am going to try a couple turbos hoping I can get lucky. My last resort solution Im planning on is to move all corals and my nems to a 12g frag tank Im building and leave the fish and everything that doesn't need light to survive and just shut the lights off for a week at a time and see what it looks like after each week. I'm going to bookmark this thread but if I don't respond feel free to shoot me a pm

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same algae in my 26g. Spreads everywhere! Only critter I found that eats it was a Mexican Turbo snail. It is a variety of the Green Turf Algae. Here you can see it right side of my clam.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424836171.015139.jpg

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. That's what I had. Is a Mexican turbo what you'll regularly see as a turbo at a LFS? I'm getting cuc's this weekend.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx. I still can't picture it so I'll google it. You're one of my best nano resources!

JReefaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most of the cyano ive dealt with wasnt like that it was more slimy looking. im going to try a couple mexican turbos and see what happens. hopefully they dont bulldoze my zoa garden to pieces on the sand

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something else I did that worked in certain areas. I took a pair of tweezers and was able to peel off large patches at a time. Neat thing about this method was it never grew back in those areas..crazy right.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So turbos eat algae right? Will they eat dead algae? I left my lights off for a week to get rid of a bad outbreak. My new turbos and hermit crabs don't seem interested.

Back