Cyano and Hair Algae, Driving me Nuts! PLEASE HELP

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys below you will see the cyano and hair algae in my aquarium. I have tried multiple things to get rid of this. My phosphates read 0 on the API kit and I can't afford the Hanna low range tester right now. I added 10 small blue leg crabs recently. I have a lawnmower blenny also.i also 3 days ago put BRS GFO in a phosban 150 reactor.

What do I need to do to get rid of all this cyano and hair algae? I'm willing to try anything at this point. The cyano always come back and the hair algae I have tried scrubbing with a metal brush and it gets ride of some but it is too short to pull.

PLEASE help me!

Thank you!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429586275.945874.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429586286.330333.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429586296.713889.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429586305.315011.jpg

rmiles54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a hair algae issue, sometimes a little pops up here and there. I too began to run the GFO! I checked my water supply as I noticed most of the tanks at the LFS near me had the same issues I purchased my own rodi unit. I reduced the intensity and length for my LED's about 15% on the whites and shortened their cycle by a half hour on both ends. Like you I was trying to clean, I gave this stuff Algaefix Marine a shot. Got it at petsmart, treated according to bottle and it loosened the stubborn hair algae so I could remove and most patches I could see basically disappeared, I also did more frequent smaller water changes! My algae issue is pretty much resolved. That's a lot in combination to say the Algaefix alone would knock out the problem but I feel it does work assist in the removal. Good luck!

RIReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what i did Do about 20gal. Water change, siphon the sand bed , buy some Mexican turbo snails and Mex. Astrea snails And cut down on the feeding.

OP
OP
Bryan47

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut down on feeding and cut the light period to 8 hours. I just scooped all of the cyano I could get off the sand and dosed with chemiclean which always gets rid of it my concern is it coming back. Maybe now that I am running GFO it will not come back. I will look at marine algae killer supplements. Thanks for the tips guys.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a major problem myself a couple months ago with GHA some other type of algae and bubble. My rocks are perfectly clean today.

Looks like you're on your way but it take several weeks.

1. Added snails and RED leg hermits.
2. Added a urchin.
3. Added Emeralds (for the bubble algae)
4. Started running GFO. (this was key I believe)
5. Added a Lawnmower blenny.
6. Fed a little less.

It started dying and going away and then it looked to have stalled. I changed out the GFO and it finished the rest off. :)

OP
OP
Bryan47

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok great! I will add more hermits the guy at BRS said blue leg but I will get red too. I have a pencil urchin, I have two emeralds, I just started the GFO which I also think will be key, and I have a lawnmower Blenny and I am feeding less.

Hope it works!

Back